Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will the following be misconstrued......

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Will the following be misconstrued...... [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2004, 07:48
Scott/Omari:
Firstly, I would like to thank you guys for participating in this forum. I'm in the process of writing my essays for HBS and Kellogg. My question is.....

a) I work for a Fortune 50 Company. I've pioneered/managed the development of a product that brought direct revenue to the company. Would the adcomm misconstrue/frown upon using verbiage like "demonstrating entreprenuership under the company framework" as a part of my "Why HBS/Kellogg" statement while working for the Fortune 50 company.

Typically "entreprenuership" is reserved for people who do something for themselves. Can i call my pioneering efforts while working for the Fortune 50 company to be a part of my entreprenuership under the company framework" Or is that an oxymoron that would be viewed negatively?

What is your take on this?

regards
gmataquaguy

Last edited by gmataquaguy on 06 Sep 2004, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2004, 08:10
Expert's post
Yes, I absolutely think you can call this entrepreneurship. You don't need to follow the narrowest definition of the word, which would involve someone striking out on his own and starting a new company. "Entrepreneurship" does mean that, but it also can refer to a broader set of activities and accomplishments. Think about the key ingredients of a successful entrepreneur: a willingness to take risks, leadership, initiative, creativity, persistence, etc. If you can show that you exhibited these kinds of traits in your project, then I think it's fair to call it entrepreneurship.

Maybe the biggest difference between a "typical" entrepreneur and you is that you were still within the relatively safe confines of a large company. You may want to make clear at some point in your app that you appreciate this difference, but don't apologize for it. Adcomms will understand!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2004, 08:16
Scott:
Wowza!!! Thank you very much for the prompt response. You responded while i was re-editing my original post. This gives a whole new definition to a "real-time" response.
Thanks again for your response.

regards
gmataquaguy
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2004, 11:22
This is recognized under the title of "intrpreneurship" or similar terms (although the term seems to have been more popular in the recent past). The key is showing the positive effects of one's initiative.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2004, 11:45
The term in the post above should read "intrapreneurship."

So much for spell checking . . .

Hjort