Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will you please evaluate me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Will you please evaluate me? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 11:48
Dear reader:

I am a Masters' student at university of Tehran. I need your advice about my chance of getting into one of the top B-schools. This is my situation when I apply for a PhD in Marketing, fall 2012.

I am:
1- Iranian/24 years old/male
2- BA is English language and literature, GPA 3.8
3- student of Masters in marketing, Tehran university (absolutely no.1 in Iran and top 4 in middle east), GPA 4
4- GMAT 700 (1st and last time)
5-TOEFL (ibt) 110
6- translated two books, "Developing leadership talent", "Marketing principles" (by Phillip kotler)
7- written 3 articles, 2 indexed in ISI
8- TA for two courses
9- good recommendation letters(with professors I have done research with and in whose class I was the top student)
10- one book written, "English grammar for M.sc students"
11- recognized as a exceptional talent in the Iranian Young Researchers Association
12- Founder and editor-in-chief of a studentship scientific journal called "A window to the world of management"
13- effective SOP (have been thinking about my real aspirations and goals and editing it for 15 month)
14- The top student in all the four semesters of Msc. the top student in the graduating group.
15- recognized as a top student in the faculty (formal certificate)
16-offered an honorary PhD place at Tehran university

I LACK work experience, which is my main fear. Of course I have many years of teaching and research experience but no experience in marketing. How strong do you find this weakness!?

Please assume that I do the job of contacting the faculty well and have found some profs with similar interests.

I really need you to give me my chances since I can't wait for another year. As a resident of Iran, we have many obstacles. I hope you figure me out.I know there are other factors affecting your decision, but please let me know your most educated guess based on the history. Please give me a percentage.

Please just tell me if I need to provide more info.

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: Will you please evaluate me? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 03:05
This post received
KUDOS
You have a good profile though most of your achievements are inclined towards English than Marketing. I think you stand a very good chance. You might want to contact few PhD alums from your target business schools over Linkedin to get their opinion. Linkedin is a great resource if you haven't explored it already. Also, you might want to contact Nirmalya Kumar, Professor of Marketing at London Business School. He might be able to help you as well.

www.InterviewBay.com
- Get Ready For The Interview
MBA | Finance | Consulting | General Mgmt
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will you please evaluate me? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 13:41
interviewbay, two great suggestions tnx. I knew linkedin bit never thought of it this way

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Re: Will you please evaluate me?   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2011, 13:41