Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wind farms, which generate electricity using arrays of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Wind farms, which generate electricity using arrays of [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 00:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:48) correct 33% (00:52) wrong based on 9 sessions
Wind farms, which generate electricity using arrays of thousands of wind-powered
turbines, require vast expanses of open land. County X and County Y have similar
terrain, but the population density of County X is significantly higher than that of County
Y. Therefore, a wind farm proposed for one of the two counties should be built in
County Y rather than in County X.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the planner’s argument?
A. County X and County Y are adjacent to each other, and both are located in the
windiest area of the state.
B. The total population of County Y is substantially greater than that of County X.
C. Some of the electricity generated by wind farms in County Y would be purchased
by users outside the county.
D. Wind farms require more land per unit of electricity generated than does any other
type of electrical-generation facility.
E. Nearly all of County X’s population is concentrated in a small part of the county,
while County Y’s population is spread evenly throughout the country.

I can only see E because none of the other answers seriously undermines the argument. I'll wait for your comments.

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 01:59
is it C??
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Wind Farms [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 02:56
alimad wrote:
Wind farms, which generate electricity using arrays of thousands of wind-powered
turbines, require vast expanses of open land. County X and County Y have similar
terrain, but the population density of County X is significantly higher than that of County
Y. Therefore, a wind farm proposed for one of the two counties should be built in
E. Nearly all of County X’s population is concentrated in a small part of the county,

I can only see E because none of the other answers seriously undermines the argument. I'll wait for your comments.

I concur with you that E is the answer :)

The key words are " open land" which, if correctecly understood, is land without many dwellers.
E: population of country Y is more scattering than that of country X --> it's more difficult to find "open land" in Y than in X --> the proposal to build wind farm in Y weakened.

But, then why there's a premise about the population density of the countries? ..

B seems a contender but since we don't have information about the area of the two countries' territories, we can't conclude anything
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Wind Farms [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 04:01
I agree for E.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Wind Farms [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 06:11
Pop density is higher in Cx than Cy.

E states that ALL pop of Cx is concentrated in a small part. So the density of pop is high AND can also mean that Cx has more open land than Cy.

I go for E
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Wind Farms [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 12:30
alimad wrote:
A. County X and County Y are adjacent to each other, and both are located in the
B. The total population of County Y is substantially greater than that of County X.
C. Some of the electricity generated by wind farms in County Y would be purchased
D. Wind farms require more land per unit of electricity generated than does any other

This is C.

X's population is denser. Thus, Wind farms should be built in Y.

A: Irrelevant
B: This is tempting but doesn't really explain why the mill's should not be built in Y. This requires us to make additional assumptions about greater population.
D: Doesn't weaken, both have the same land mass.

E. Says that population is very dense in one spot for X, but Y is spread out.
Just think of any state with a mega-major city: Illinois . Has Chicago and... thats about it. Chicago contains the majority of the population of Illinois. Now lets compare to say Ohio. Ohio has several major cities, but nothing compared to Chicago. And Ohio's pop is about equal but spread out. Assuming both have same land mass, its easy to see why Ohio would be a worse place to put wind mills.

Now judging from your comments, I can see that E is probably not the answer.

So I say C. The argument assumes that electricity will be purchased outside of Y. I thought this might be something that COULD weaken the argument, but this doesn't really follow the premises as E does. E perfectly explains why its not a good idea to put the mills in Y.

However, we must remember that when weakening the argument, we have to look for two types of choices: one that produces a piece of weakening evidence or one that exposes a faulty assumption.

The argument assumes that both countries will share electricity. This is why choice C is correct.

However, come test day Id still say E. Both are plausible. I guess E just requires us to assume that sparse population means worse for windmilss. This is a very iffy CR if you ask me.

Whoops made an error, fixed it in my reasoning for E with the above example of Ohio and Illinois.

Last edited by GMATBLACKBELT on 27 Sep 2007, 23:12, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 13:07
Should be B.

(1) Total population of country B is substantial higher than that of A.
(2) Population density of country B is substantial lower than that of A.

It means population is spread out in country B, so not much "open land" may be available for wind farms.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Wind Farms [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 19:03
alimad wrote:

A,C and D out of scope.
B - only population without the land area will not give any conclusion.
E is the answer.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Wind Farms [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 22:13
Quote:
Wind farms, which generate electricity using arrays of thousands of wind-powered turbines, require vast expanses of open land. County X and County Y have similar terrain, but the population density of County X is significantly higher than that of County Y. Therefore, a wind farm proposed for one of the two counties should be built in County Y rather than in County X.

A. County X and County Y are adjacent to each other, and both are located in the windiest area of the state.
C. Some of the electricity generated by wind farms in County Y would be purchased by users outside the county.
D. Wind farms require more land per unit of electricity generated than does any other type of electrical-generation facility.
E. Nearly all of County X’s population is concentrated in a small part of the county, while County Y’s population is spread evenly throughout the country.

E. this is clearly E cuz "wind farms need spacious land which is available in x and not in y. so x is better suited for the wind farms.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Reply - OA [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 02:48
Thanks, quite a stimulating discussion. OA is E.

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IE
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Wind Farms [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 11:02
E only.
Re: CR - Wind Farms   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2011, 11:02