Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wine has been among the most popular export goods from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 53

Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:01) correct 51% (00:57) wrong based on 177 sessions
Wine has been among the most popular export goods from California for the past ten years. Americans have been consuming more wine from California each year than in the previous year. Yet, over these same ten years the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes.

Which one of the following, if true, best reconciles the discrepancy above?

A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am confused between A and E. How can we eliminate E?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2264 [4] , given: 31

Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TirthankarP wrote:
Wine has been among the most popular export goods from California for the past ten years. Americans have been consuming more wine from California each year than in the previous year. Yet, over these same ten years the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes.

(A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
(B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
(C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
(D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
(E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.

krakgmat wrote:
Mike, Can you please provide an explanation for the CR question below. Thank you very much

Dear TirthankarP & krakgmat,
I'm happy to help. :-) Frankly, I don't think this is a very high quality question --- I think it has a number of flaws.

First of all, here's a book review you may find germane:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/princeton- ... ok-review/

I don't like that the question uses the idea of "vintage" wines, and assumes that test-takers the world over will recognize that this means: wines older than 10 years. The word "vintage" is a relative obscure work, and the connotations it has for wine are unique ---- I don't know that use of the word would be appreciated by folks from other countries, especially folks in places in which wine is not frequently consumed. BTW, this is also contrary to real-world fact: California wines are meant to be consumed young --- nobody drinks vintage CA wines. Obvious, this real world fact doesn't impact how we approach the CR question, but the GMAT itself, and good GMAT prep sources, strive to make all the CR arguments accord with real-world fact & instincts.

I suppose in the question-maker's mind, the argument says, "the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes." I suppose the question-maker expect us to realize that these "wine-producing grapes" that are in short supply include the ones "once deemed unusable [that] are now suitable for winemaking." I must say, in my mind, it's quite unclear whether this new population of grapes, the previous unsuitable ones, are included in the statement about the drop in production. In other words, I could see how one might make an argument for eliminating (E), but I don't find it particularly compelling. In a well-written GMAT CR question, one answer is unambiguously right, and the other four, though perhaps tempting at first, can each be eliminated on clear and unambiguously grounds. I found the grounds under which one might eliminate (E) quite ambiguous, and therefore, I don't find this a particularly strong question.

Here's, for free, is a much stronger CR question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3129

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 08:34
Expert's post
TirthankarP wrote:

A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

It's a straight A for me.

A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before- Explains how the people were able to drink lot of wine even though the growth is less
B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine- Publicizing to curb drunk driving doesn't explain how people were able to drink even though the growth is less
C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful - Same as the above
D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years- Reducing the price may be the reason, but it is not related to drinking alot and grape growth
E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking- There is nothing about the fermentation mentioned in argument

Believe you can and you're halfway there- Theodore Roosevelt

Rules for posting in Quants Forum || Rules for posting in verbal forum

Improving from V30 to V40 | Improving from Q35-40 to Q47 | Bunuel Special Problem Collections New!!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 19:39
Hi,

Its straight A. Whenever you come across Resolve Paradox type questions, make sure that the answer choice solves both ends of the paradox.

In this case, we know the below two things:

1. Americans consume more wine from California than they did in any previous years
2. Lack of rainfall has led to reduction of growth of a significant crop of wine-producing grapes

Now lets look at option A:
Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.

From this, we can clearly figure out that since 10 years, people are consuming more wine (answers point 1) and that people are consuming more vintage wine (answers point 2).

Hence A is correct.

Hope it helps :)

Kudos plz if it helped

Last edited by rockstar23 on 11 Oct 2013, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 06:33
Mike, Thanks for responding and for the nice explanation.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 81

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 17:46
mikemcgarry wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:

(A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
(B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
(C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
(D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
(E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.

krakgmat wrote:
Mike, Can you please provide an explanation for the CR question below. Thank you very much

Dear TirthankarP & krakgmat,
I'm happy to help. :-) Frankly, I don't think this is a very high quality question --- I think it has a number of flaws.

First of all, here's a book review you may find germane:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/princeton- ... ok-review/

I don't like that the question uses the idea of "vintage" wines, and assumes that test-takers the world over will recognize that this means: wines older than 10 years. The word "vintage" is a relative obscure work, and the connotations it has for wine are unique ---- I don't know that use of the word would be appreciated by folks from other countries, especially folks in places in which wine is not frequently consumed. BTW, this is also contrary to real-world fact: California wines are meant to be consumed young --- nobody drinks vintage CA wines. Obvious, this real world fact doesn't impact how we approach the CR question, but the GMAT itself, and good GMAT prep sources, strive to make all the CR arguments accord with real-world fact & instincts.

I suppose in the question-maker's mind, the argument says, "the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes." I suppose the question-maker expect us to realize that these "wine-producing grapes" that are in short supply include the ones "once deemed unusable [that] are now suitable for winemaking." I must say, in my mind, it's quite unclear whether this new population of grapes, the previous unsuitable ones, are included in the statement about the drop in production. In other words, I could see how one might make an argument for eliminating (E), but I don't find it particularly compelling. In a well-written GMAT CR question, one answer is unambiguously right, and the other four, though perhaps tempting at first, can each be eliminated on clear and unambiguously grounds. I found the grounds under which one might eliminate (E) quite ambiguous, and therefore, I don't find this a particularly strong question.

Here's, for free, is a much stronger CR question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3129

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike,

If i'm not wrong more vintage wine IS NOT EQUAL TO more californian wine. Its like saying 'people have been buying more japanese cars than ever before' and giving a reason that : people have started driving vintage cars.

I totally get your point too. Although my reasoning might not be as strong as yours but i kinda spotted the weakness in the options. Or am I wrong? Your questions are much more firm and air tight.
Expert Post
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 21:45
Expert's post
I eliminated E because it seemed to imply that the newly discovered fermentation process / grape supply was a present event (and wouldn't have a bearing on the CA wine supply over the past 10 years).

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2014, 21:45