Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 00:03
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wine has been among the most popular export goods from

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 53

Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 08:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:05) correct 51% (00:59) wrong based on 270 sessions
Wine has been among the most popular export goods from California for the past ten years. Americans have been consuming more wine from California each year than in the previous year. Yet, over these same ten years the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes.

Which one of the following, if true, best reconciles the discrepancy above?

A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am confused between A and E. How can we eliminate E?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2506
Followers: 814

Kudos [?]: 3303 [4] , given: 38

Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 09:16
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TirthankarP wrote:
Wine has been among the most popular export goods from California for the past ten years. Americans have been consuming more wine from California each year than in the previous year. Yet, over these same ten years the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes.

Which one of the following, if true, best reconciles the discrepancy above?
(A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
(B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
(C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
(D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
(E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.


I am confused between A and E. How can we eliminate E?

krakgmat wrote:
Mike, Can you please provide an explanation for the CR question below. Thank you very much

Dear TirthankarP & krakgmat,
I'm happy to help. :-) Frankly, I don't think this is a very high quality question --- I think it has a number of flaws.

First of all, here's a book review you may find germane:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/princeton- ... ok-review/

I don't like that the question uses the idea of "vintage" wines, and assumes that test-takers the world over will recognize that this means: wines older than 10 years. The word "vintage" is a relative obscure work, and the connotations it has for wine are unique ---- I don't know that use of the word would be appreciated by folks from other countries, especially folks in places in which wine is not frequently consumed. BTW, this is also contrary to real-world fact: California wines are meant to be consumed young --- nobody drinks vintage CA wines. Obvious, this real world fact doesn't impact how we approach the CR question, but the GMAT itself, and good GMAT prep sources, strive to make all the CR arguments accord with real-world fact & instincts.

I suppose in the question-maker's mind, the argument says, "the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes." I suppose the question-maker expect us to realize that these "wine-producing grapes" that are in short supply include the ones "once deemed unusable [that] are now suitable for winemaking." I must say, in my mind, it's quite unclear whether this new population of grapes, the previous unsuitable ones, are included in the statement about the drop in production. In other words, I could see how one might make an argument for eliminating (E), but I don't find it particularly compelling. In a well-written GMAT CR question, one answer is unambiguously right, and the other four, though perhaps tempting at first, can each be eliminated on clear and unambiguously grounds. I found the grounds under which one might eliminate (E) quite ambiguous, and therefore, I don't find this a particularly strong question.

Here's, for free, is a much stronger CR question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3129

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 19:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Its straight A. Whenever you come across Resolve Paradox type questions, make sure that the answer choice solves both ends of the paradox.

In this case, we know the below two things:

1. Americans consume more wine from California than they did in any previous years
2. Lack of rainfall has led to reduction of growth of a significant crop of wine-producing grapes

Now lets look at option A:
Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.

From this, we can clearly figure out that since 10 years, people are consuming more wine (answers point 1) and that people are consuming more vintage wine (answers point 2).

Hence A is correct.

Hope it helps :)
_________________

Kudos plz if it helped


Last edited by rockstar23 on 11 Oct 2013, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 190
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Consumer Products)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 71

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 21:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I eliminated E because it seemed to imply that the newly discovered fermentation process / grape supply was a present event (and wouldn't have a bearing on the CA wine supply over the past 10 years).
_________________

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done!!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 577
Location: India
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 647 [0], given: 163

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 08:34
Expert's post
TirthankarP wrote:
Wine has been among the most popular export goods from California for the past ten years. Americans have been consuming more wine from California each year than in the previous year. Yet, over these same ten years the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes.

Which one of the following, if true, best reconciles the discrepancy above?

A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am confused between A and E. How can we eliminate E?



It's a straight A for me.

A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before- Explains how the people were able to drink lot of wine even though the growth is less
B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine- Publicizing to curb drunk driving doesn't explain how people were able to drink even though the growth is less
C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful - Same as the above
D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years- Reducing the price may be the reason, but it is not related to drinking alot and grape growth
E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking- There is nothing about the fermentation mentioned in argument
_________________

Don't Read Success Stories, You Will Get Only Message. Instead Read Failure Stories, You Will Get Some Ideas To Get Success!!!- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam


Rules for posting in Quants Forum || Rules for posting in verbal forum

Connect With me Via LinkedIn | My Blog |

Bunuel Special Problem Collections New!! || Version-2 SC- 9 Most common Errors New!!
Version-2- CR- 10 Most common ErrorsNew!! || Reading Comprehension- Review/PraciceNew!!


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 06:33
Mike, Thanks for responding and for the nice explanation.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 178
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 17:46
mikemcgarry wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:
Wine has been among the most popular export goods from California for the past ten years. Americans have been consuming more wine from California each year than in the previous year. Yet, over these same ten years the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes.

Which one of the following, if true, best reconciles the discrepancy above?
(A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
(B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
(C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
(D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
(E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.


I am confused between A and E. How can we eliminate E?

krakgmat wrote:
Mike, Can you please provide an explanation for the CR question below. Thank you very much

Dear TirthankarP & krakgmat,
I'm happy to help. :-) Frankly, I don't think this is a very high quality question --- I think it has a number of flaws.

First of all, here's a book review you may find germane:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/princeton- ... ok-review/

I don't like that the question uses the idea of "vintage" wines, and assumes that test-takers the world over will recognize that this means: wines older than 10 years. The word "vintage" is a relative obscure work, and the connotations it has for wine are unique ---- I don't know that use of the word would be appreciated by folks from other countries, especially folks in places in which wine is not frequently consumed. BTW, this is also contrary to real-world fact: California wines are meant to be consumed young --- nobody drinks vintage CA wines. Obvious, this real world fact doesn't impact how we approach the CR question, but the GMAT itself, and good GMAT prep sources, strive to make all the CR arguments accord with real-world fact & instincts.

I suppose in the question-maker's mind, the argument says, "the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes." I suppose the question-maker expect us to realize that these "wine-producing grapes" that are in short supply include the ones "once deemed unusable [that] are now suitable for winemaking." I must say, in my mind, it's quite unclear whether this new population of grapes, the previous unsuitable ones, are included in the statement about the drop in production. In other words, I could see how one might make an argument for eliminating (E), but I don't find it particularly compelling. In a well-written GMAT CR question, one answer is unambiguously right, and the other four, though perhaps tempting at first, can each be eliminated on clear and unambiguously grounds. I found the grounds under which one might eliminate (E) quite ambiguous, and therefore, I don't find this a particularly strong question.

Here's, for free, is a much stronger CR question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3129

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)


Mike,

If i'm not wrong more vintage wine IS NOT EQUAL TO more californian wine. Its like saying 'people have been buying more japanese cars than ever before' and giving a reason that : people have started driving vintage cars.

I totally get your point too. Although my reasoning might not be as strong as yours but i kinda spotted the weakness in the options. Or am I wrong? Your questions are much more firm and air tight.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 175
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 293

CAT Tests
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2015, 11:35
mikemcgarry wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:
Wine has been among the most popular export goods from California for the past ten years. Americans have been consuming more wine from California each year than in the previous year. Yet, over these same ten years the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes.

Which one of the following, if true, best reconciles the discrepancy above?
(A) Over the past ten years people have been consuming more vintage wines than before.
(B) Publicized efforts to curb drunk driving have contributed to the trend to consume less wine.
(C) Irrigation attempts in California were unsuccessful.
(D) The price of California wine has dropped considerably over the past ten years.
(E) Due to new fermentation processes grapes that were once deemed unusable are now suitable for winemaking.


I am confused between A and E. How can we eliminate E?

krakgmat wrote:
Mike, Can you please provide an explanation for the CR question below. Thank you very much

Dear TirthankarP & krakgmat,
I'm happy to help. :-) Frankly, I don't think this is a very high quality question --- I think it has a number of flaws.

First of all, here's a book review you may find germane:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/princeton- ... ok-review/

I don't like that the question uses the idea of "vintage" wines, and assumes that test-takers the world over will recognize that this means: wines older than 10 years. The word "vintage" is a relative obscure work, and the connotations it has for wine are unique ---- I don't know that use of the word would be appreciated by folks from other countries, especially folks in places in which wine is not frequently consumed. BTW, this is also contrary to real-world fact: California wines are meant to be consumed young --- nobody drinks vintage CA wines. Obvious, this real world fact doesn't impact how we approach the CR question, but the GMAT itself, and good GMAT prep sources, strive to make all the CR arguments accord with real-world fact & instincts.

I suppose in the question-maker's mind, the argument says, "the lack of rainfall in California has been such that the soil has not been fertile enough to grow a significant crop of wine-producing grapes." I suppose the question-maker expect us to realize that these "wine-producing grapes" that are in short supply include the ones "once deemed unusable [that] are now suitable for winemaking." I must say, in my mind, it's quite unclear whether this new population of grapes, the previous unsuitable ones, are included in the statement about the drop in production. In other words, I could see how one might make an argument for eliminating (E), but I don't find it particularly compelling. In a well-written GMAT CR question, one answer is unambiguously right, and the other four, though perhaps tempting at first, can each be eliminated on clear and unambiguously grounds. I found the grounds under which one might eliminate (E) quite ambiguous, and therefore, I don't find this a particularly strong question.

Here's, for free, is a much stronger CR question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3129

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)

Hi Mike!
Yes i am absolutely agree with your logic. I eliminated A because there is nothing about vintage wine in the argument. For me answer E was best since it explains both parts of the argument. But i was surprised that right answer is A. I agree that this is not a very good question.
_________________

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Posts: 94
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 51

Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2015, 22:39
I chose E here,

Here is how I deconstructed argument:
Over 10 year period:
1. wine most popular export good (FACT nothing to think of)
2. American consuming more and more California wine each year
3. Rainfall decreased -> Soil infertile -> Lesser wine-making grapes
Now less Grapes = less production of wine
So, we need to find a bridge between less production of wine and Increasing consumption

Option A says Vintage wine -> NOT necessarily Californian wine (Out of Scope)

Options B and C does Nothing to explain discrepancy

Option D says price has lowered over the past ten years -> Lower price so people buy more, But this takes argument out of scope (This statement takes average over ten years period while we require each year of price drop)

Option E -> New fermentation processes make non wine grapes wine grapes. -> Sticks to our scope of less wine making grapes leading to More Consumption (As non wine grapes can be used to make wine)
Re: Wine has been among the most popular export goods from   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2015, 22:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
It has never been so good for online businesses as revenues from both itzmyzone911 5 27 Apr 2015, 21:46
1 Recently, the tuition at most elite private colleges has been rising f akhil911 3 28 Sep 2014, 05:49
1 It has been claimed that an action is morally good only if talk2pk 8 13 Sep 2009, 20:10
Vitamin XYZ has long been a favorite among health food spriya 8 14 Oct 2008, 09:31
From today's CAT. Disclaimer* this CR has been edited and GMATT73 29 22 Oct 2006, 02:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Wine has been among the most popular export goods from

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.