Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

Is anyone applying for the fall 2011 term of Wisconsin's MBA? I browsed through the threads here but could not find much info and profiles applying for the same.
All those who are applying to the Wisconsin Fall 2011 MBA, please join here and share your experiences.
My profile is as follows:-
GMAT -700(q-49, v-35), AWA 5.5/6
Work-Ex - 2 years by Aug 2011 in R&D as Software engg.
Extra curricular- Nice

Applied in R2..still waiting for any update or interview call.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wisconsin, Carlson, McCombs, Ross, Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
I agree, Wisconsin should get more attention here. I applied to R1 and was accepted (ASAP specialization). For those interested, Wisconsin highly emphasizes the specialization model.

Class Profile

Class of 2012 (Entering Class of 2010)
Enrollment 118
Average GMAT 675
Average Years of Professional Work Experience 4.84
Average Age 28
Percentage of Female Students Enrolled 41%
Percentage of Minority Students Enrolled 17%
Percentage of International Students Enrolled 16%
Class of 2012 GMAT Distribution
80% Range 620-720

Specializations: http://www.bus.wisc.edu/mba/specializations/

* Applied Security Analysis
* Arts Administration
* Brand and Product Management
* Corporate Finance and Investment Banking
* Entrepreneurship Certificate (formerly Entrepreneurship Specialization)
* Innovation Certificate (formerly Strategic Management in Life & Engineering Sciences)
* Marketing Research
* Operations and Technology Management
* Real Estate
* Risk Management and Insurance
* Strategic Human Resource Management
* Supply Chain Management

Deadlines:

R1: Nov 12
R2: Feb 4 (Final for Arts Administration)
R3: Mar 15
R4: Apr 28 (Apr 1 for Intl)

Essays (source: http://www.bus.wisc.edu/mba/checklist/a ... essays.asp)

School of Business MBA essay questions:

All candidates are required to complete the general essay and the two essays which are specific to their chosen career specialization.

General Essay
The Wisconsin MBA considers academic integrity to be the foundation of any well functioning academic community. Thus, it is imperative that we maintain high and exacting academic integrity standards if we are to succeed in building a community of business leaders of tomorrow. As the conduct of business is based first and foremost on trust, so our success depends on our ability to trust each other.

Please respond to the statement above. Do you agree/disagree? How does this statement reflect in the larger business context? More specifically, how does this statement reflect in both your short and long-term career goals?

The following questions are specific to your career specialization. Based on the career specialization you selected please address questions 2 and 3:
Applied Security Analysis

2. Why specifically do you believe you are a good fit for a career in money management?

3. Please describe your history of interest or participation in the area of investments.

Arts Administration

2. How will the MBA in Arts Administration advance your career goals in arts and cultural management? What specific skills or abilities do you hope to gain and what do you think you will bring to the program?

3. Identify and describe a key issue facing the marketing, management, development, creation, or support of arts and culture today. Explain why you think this is a critical issue to arts administrators, and provide your recommendations as to how this issue might be addressed. Include specific examples from your own experience if applicable.
Brand and Product Management

2. We would like to understand why you are interested in pursuing an MBA and, more specifically, why you are interested in the Center for Brand and Product Management. As part of your explanation, please address the following areas: a. Why is this a good point in your life to pursue the MBA? What personal qualities and past experiences have most directly influenced your decision to seek a career in brand management? What challenges have you had to overcome (either professional or personal) and what have you learned from those challenges, that have led you to this point in your life? b. What are your short- term career goals (immediately following the MBA)? What are your long-term career goals (10-15 years out of the program)? What would you consider one of your “dream” product management positions (in terms of industry, company or product) to be?

3. Give an example of a product that is marketed particularly well. Why? What is an example of a product that is not marketed well? Why and what would you do to improve it?

Corporate Finance & Investment Banking

2. Explain why you are interested in pursuing your MBA at this point in your life. Specifically, how will this degree impact your future career and describe your professional short term career goals.

3. Please describe why you should be admitted to the Corporate Finance & Investment Banking (CFIB) program, and why you believe CFIB is a good fit for you

Marketing Research

2. Please describe any research you conducted on graduate programs and career choices. Why did this lead you to choose the A.C. Nielsen Center for Marketing Research? What specific types of industries and marketing research responsibilities are you most interested in pursuing after graduation?

3. What do you think it takes to be successful in marketing research? Why? How does your past experience demonstrate your ability to be successful as a marketing research professional?

Operations and Technology Management

2. Briefly describe three critical operations or technology management-related issues facing global businesses today (you may narrow this down to an industry with which you are familiar). Also describe why you think they are critical, and what you as a manager could do to address them.

3. Why are you, and what made you, interested in operations and/or technology management?

Real Estate

2. Why are you interested in Real Estate as your area of concentration? What specific aspects of real estate most interest you, and why?

3. What specific qualities and skills do you bring to the study and practice of real estate? Given your short and long run goals (Question #1), in which qualities and skills do you think you need strengthening? How do you see your development in the next two years? Please be as specific and concrete as possible

Risk Management and Insurance

2. Who are the individuals and/or what are the events in your life that have led to your specific interest in pursuing a degree in risk management and insurance? Please explain.

3. In what area of risk management and insurance are you most interested? Provide a discussion of the current key issues associated with this field and the skills you bring to efforts in addressing those issues. Be as specific as possible.

Strategic Human Resources

2. In what way, or in what area of Strategic HRM, do you hope to make your biggest mark and why? In answering this question, also elaborate on your earlier discussion of your short- and long-term career goals. What type of organization would you like to work for after completing your MBA? Ideally, what roles and responsibilities would you take on? Now, jump ahead 15 to 20 years, and consider the same questions. What would you like to be doing and in what kind of organization?

3. Thinking of the plans you have described, what are your reasons for choosing to do an MBA in SHRM at the University of Wisconsin? What is it about our program that will help you achieve your goals? Given what you would like to do, what are the advantages and disadvantages of our program relative to other programs?

Supply Chain Management

2. List three critical supply chain management challenges facing business today and select one to discuss in depth. Explain why the issue is important, including suggestions for how to address this challenge and examples from your own experience if applicable.

3. Successfully managing a business’ supply chain requires continuous innovation and leadership. What personal qualities and experiences will make you an effective leader in this field? What skills and experiences do you hope to gain and/or improve from the Grainger Center and MBA program?

If anyone else has anything else to add, let me know.

Last edited by abushey31 on 15 Feb 2011, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 06:57
Hi Abushey31

First of all Congrats on your admission to Wisconsin's ASAP programme.
I have applied for the CFIB programme and am eagerly waiting for any updates or interview call from their side.
My application was completed on 3rd Feb 2011. Can you plz tell me, approx how many days after you application's complete status did you receive an interview call?
Also, can you share your profile?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 08:22
vibsatwork wrote:
Hi Abushey31

First of all Congrats on your admission to Wisconsin's ASAP programme.
I have applied for the CFIB programme and am eagerly waiting for any updates or interview call from their side.
My application was completed on 3rd Feb 2011. Can you plz tell me, approx how many days after you application's complete status did you receive an interview call?
Also, can you share your profile?

I interviewed at the Prospective Preview Day in November, so I can't say when you would find out now.

1) Basic demographic info: 24, M, American

2) Educational Background: undergrad major, GPA, GMAT score, any grad work you've done

* BBA in Finance from Big Ten School
* GPA: 3.2
* GMAT 690 (44Q, 41V, 5.5 AWA)
* CFA Level III Candidate

3) Work experience: what is your current role? Have you had any promotions? What industry do you work in? For how long have you worked?

* Current Role: Financial Analyst at blue chip technology company, 2.5 yrs experience

4) Extracurriculars: do you participate in any extra-curricular activities? What is your role there? For how long have you been involved?

* President of local alumni club chapter (~100 active members) for my undergrad school
- Chair monthly board meetings
- Scholarship contact for local schools
- Oversee volunteer events for local charities

5) Short/Long term goals: what do you want to do after your MBA? Any geographic preferences?

* Short term: Equity Research analyst
* Long term: Portfolio manager
* No real geographic preferences
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 08:42
Thanks for the valuable inputs abhushey31.
Has anyone applied in R2 for the fall of 2011 admission?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 08:27
Decided to accept the offer from Wisconsin :)
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIESEC
Schools: Carlson School of Management (Admitted with $$$); Claremont McKenna College MSF (Admitted with $$$); Olin Business School (R2); Wisconsin School of Business R3); University of Notre Dame (R5)
WE 1: 2.5 Years in Management Consulting with a Big 4 Auditing Firm by matriculation
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 18:43
I submitted my application for the 2nd round assessment and haven't heard from the Adcom yet :( Could anyone of you who has interviewed please share your experience? (types of questions, how long the interview took, etc.)
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 20:25
Hi quann 11287

I also applied in R2 and still haven't heard from them.
Can you plz share your profile with us?

@Abhushey11 - Congrats Buddy!! :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Carlson School of Management (Admitted with $$$); Claremont McKenna College MSF (Admitted with $$$); Olin Business School (R2); Wisconsin School of Business R3); University of Notre Dame (R5)
WE 1: 2.5 Years in Management Consulting with a Big 4 Auditing Firm by matriculation

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 22:08
vibsatwork wrote:
Hi quann 11287

I also applied in R2 and still haven't heard from them.
Can you plz share your profile with us?

@Abhushey11 - Congrats Buddy!! :)

I applied for the Corporate Finance & Investment Banking specialization. My profile:

GMAT: 750
Work exp: 2.5 years in management consulting with a big 4 audit firm
GPA: 7.89/10
EC: Very good .

What about yours? What specialization did you apply for? Btw, do you guys know how the standing of Wisconsin is outside the states (say, in South East Asia)?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 19:58
Anybody here apply for the real estate specialization for R2?
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 20:10
Has anyone(who applied in R2 for wisconsin mba) received the interview call or any updates? Please share..The round ends on March 15 and still no trace of call for loads of people... :shock: :(
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 20:15
vibsatwork wrote:
Has anyone(who applied in R2 for wisconsin mba) received the interview call or any updates? Please share..The round ends on March 15 and still no trace of call for loads of people... :shock: :(

I am quite concerned about the delayed response from Wisconsin, too. I applied for the Corporate Finance & Investment Banking specialization in round 2 and haven't heard from the adcom ever since, either. The 2nd round deadline is nearing and it seems there aren't many people who have received the interview invites :( Is there any chance that they got enough students in the 1st round?

Another thing is this thread has been quite inactive. It seems the number of applicants to Wisconsin this fall has decreased?
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 21:34
Yaa.. I also tried to find other wisconsin applicants on various other forums, but no luck... That was precisely the reason I started this thread..
As far as I knw, of all the ppl (applying for wisconsin R2, with whom I have interacted), none has received any updates.. Lets just hope that R2 has some seats to offer!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 18:04
The wait is getting really annoying. It seems the GMAT doesn't matter that much to Wisconsin, and judging from student profiles of previous years, the school appears to very much prefer local students :(

Last edited by quan11287 on 28 Feb 2011, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 19:25
Yes. The wait is really torturing... and with only 2 weeks left for the round to finish, my hopes are slowly setting down...Lets just hope for the best!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 00:37
Darn it! And I was thinking that it would be quite easy to get admitted to the program. Now it has turned out the school is extremely selective this year. Keeping my fingers crossed
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 00:41
Same here buddy...I think I'll mail them in a day or two asking about the current status, but am not keeping my hopes high now as it's already March :? :cry:
Btw, quann, where are u frm?
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 01:00
vibsatwork wrote:
Same here buddy...I think I'll mail them in a day or two asking about the current status, but am not keeping my hopes high now as it's already March :? :cry:
Btw, quann, where are u frm?

I am from a developing country in South East Asia. I am still wavering between the MSF and the MBA though. What about you? What other programs did you apply for?

Just caught a tint of Wisconsin's selectivity this year upon hearing about an Indian guy with a GMAT score of 770 and quite decent work experience getting waitlisted :( Took another look at the profiles of the students from the Corporate Finance & Investment Banking specialization just to realize that the vast majority of them are white Americans. So I guess chances of me getting admitted are quite slim :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 16:02
Only 5 More days! Can't wait!
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 17:32
I guess we stand no chance anymore...
Re: Wisconsin MBA Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2011, 17:32