Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 07:41
Hi Paul,

I'm interested in a career switch from consulting to investment research / investment management and was admitted to and deciding between the following MBA programs: Wisconsin ASAP, CMU (Tepper), and Indiana (Kelley). Wisconsin MBA’s Applied Security Analysis Program (ASAP) has a strong alumni base in investment management of 500+, 2nd yr. curriculum of managing a $62MM fund, it's CFA partner curriculum focus, and strong placement results in investment management. Tepper and Kelley are both strong overall MBA programs and may have the better overall reputation among recruiters than Wisconsin. Tepper has a new Investment Strategy track, 100+ alumni in asset mgmt., and a small $62k student club fund, while Kelley has their Investment Management Academy, 300+ alumni in IM, and a couple courses to manage a $700k fund and a $100k fund. While Tepper is strong in computer sci./ops/consulting/other areas of finance (I-banking, S&T, Quant. Finance) and Kelley is strong in marketing/corporate finance, how do you think they stack up against Wisconsin’s ASAP for investment management? I also have an assistantship from Wisconsin which has low tuition to start, so there's a siginificant cost difference as well.

Thanks

Last edited by blacksheep on 01 Apr 2008, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wisconsin ASAP vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 13:43
Expert's post
blacksheep,

Sorry for the delay. Well, if it was me, I would go with Wisconsin, precisely because it's program is so directly wired into the investment management industry. Some high-power people in the industry have come out of that program and that would be a nice network to tap into. Only if you are unsure about your post-MBA goals would I consider the other programs, and then only Tepper, to be frank; its reputation overall *is* stronger than Wisconsin's, no question. The difference between Indiana and Wisconin's overall reputation is not significant IMO.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 20:50
Thanks Paul, your feedback is helpful since you're familiar with the ASAP program and business schools/MBAs in general. It was harder to get that feedback from those not familiar with ASAP. The main reason I was deciding to pursue an MBA was to make the switch to investment mgmt so I think ASAP is a great fit.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:31
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 06:04
Hi Paul,

I am in a similar situation where I have an admit from CMU without any aid and an admit from Wisconsin ASAP with aid. I hear that I can make it to tier 2 firms from ASAP. But it would be fairly tough to get into IM from CMU. Seems like some tier1 firms hire at CMU but they do it for MCSF+MBA(people who have IM experience)..

What is the big difference between tier 1, and tier 2 firms. I would guess that after a few years of experience, any candidate could move from tier 2 to tier1 firm. Overall would a degree from ASAP provide me limited opportunity to move up in my career later on vs if I got a degree from CMU?

Thanks
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 13:30
Expert's post
chitown2k5,

I think the difference between tier 1 and tier 2 ones is basically one of 'brand,' and that it can be easily overcome by making a name for yourself. Certainly, in the longer term scheme of things no tier 1 firm is going to take a pass on you just because you chose Wisconsin over CMU. So I agree completely with your statement "I would guess that after a few years of experience, any candidate could move from tier 2 to tier1 firm." The difference between a Wisconsin and CMU MBA is only going to be which doors they open for you after B-school. CMU has the stronger overall brand, but Wisconsin's investment management reputation is higher than CMU's in that discipline. In terms of your long-term career advancement potential, I don't think choosing Wisconsin over CMu would hurt you at all.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 05:33
Thanks, that certainly helps. Somehow it seems that the ASAP program is not publicized much.

Accepted.com wrote:
chitown2k5,

I think the difference between tier 1 and tier 2 ones is basically one of 'brand,' and that it can be easily overcome by making a name for yourself. Certainly, in the longer term scheme of things no tier 1 firm is going to take a pass on you just because you chose Wisconsin over CMU. So I agree completely with your statement "I would guess that after a few years of experience, any candidate could move from tier 2 to tier1 firm." The difference between a Wisconsin and CMU MBA is only going to be which doors they open for you after B-school. CMU has the stronger overall brand, but Wisconsin's investment management reputation is higher than CMU's in that discipline. In terms of your long-term career advancement potential, I don't think choosing Wisconsin over CMu would hurt you at all.

Good luck,
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 13:10
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 22:13
what are the placement numbers for the last batch at indiana? anyone has this info?