Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 08:40
Hi Everyone,

I was lucky enough to be accepted into two great schools.

On one hand, I received a project assistantship from the Wisconsin School of Business Full Time program which includes free tuition + 10K stipend + health insurance for the first year. The second year is not guaranteed but it could be renewable (Estimated cost of Tuition for 2nd year 26K).

On the other hand, I just found out that I also got into the Duke daytime program. I have not heard anything about a scholarship, but I am assuming I will not be getting one (Estimated cost of tuition 105K).

My goal post MBA is to go into Brand Management at a large CPG. I am flexible when it come to geographic location post MBA.

Here are my thoughts about both schools:

Wisconsin: Great Deal, Smaller Program (more attention), Specialized Brand Program, Lower number of companies recruiting, 100% placement in brand management, lesser networking opportunities

Duke: Higher caliber / more diverse students, better student experience (more clubs / opportunities), more electives, more companies recruiting, more international opportunities while in school, higher competition for jobs, better ranking (overall and specifically in marketing).

What are everyone's thoughts on both schools from a short-term / long-term perspective?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 12:25
I'd say go for Winconsin if Duke isn't offering any cash. That's an awesome deal and they seem to be pretty strong in your area of study given the 100% placement.

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 22:40
Expert's post
What kind of jobs does the 100% placement entails? Which CPG companies recruits for ABM position at Wisconsin? If you are planning to go into brand management, and both schools offers similar placement, I would go to with the money.

The advantage of Fuqua is in its network, and overall recruiting strength. For those who are unsure of what opportunities to pursue post-MBA, it offer an advantage. For brand management, there's almost no advantage, beyond having a larger network at a CPG company. But if you work for a CPG, no amount of network is going to help you if you don't hit your sales target.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 00:57
For Brand Marketing, especially given the financial award, I would go with Wisconsin. Their Brand Management Program has a great track record.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 11:01
Thanks for the input.

Big recruiters for both schools for ABM are P&G, Johnson and Johnson.

Duke seems to have better relationships with Kraft / Unilever, while Wisconsin has Colgate / SC Johnson / General Mills

Coming in from an accounting background, do you believe I will have a hard time transitioning? I know for Consulting / Finance it is generally easier to switch careers.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 10:50
Tough decision. I checked out Wisconsin and it seemed pretty isolated to me. If you want to work in Chicago, then it's a good location. Otherwise, you'll need to put in a lot of time and miles finding the right job. If Wisconsin's offer to fund your education requires your time, you may have a tight schedule throughout the 2-yrs.

On the other hand, Duke does have a strong name if you ever try to make some moves 10-15 yrs out. You'll want to think about this extra 'flexibility' in relationship to the extra cost.

Good problems to have and you can't make a 'bad' decision.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 07:18
thank you for simply starting this thread. I didnt bother looking as Wisconsin, because I just wasnt drawn to the location, but as someone who's looking to get into brand management or something a bit more analytical within marketing, this school is now on my list of places to consider.

My only concern is my desire to work on the east coast post mba, but if you're happy with the midwest, this seems like a great option.

If you want something in the east, or international, duke would be the better choice IMO.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Wisconsin (Madison) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 17:54
My initial interest in Madison was with the Brand Center but I was swayed into Supply Chain at their Preview event last November. I must say, however, I was very impressed with the Brand representatives I did meet and speak with. It is hard to argue with the financial aid package (congrats by the way). Madison is already very reasonably priced (and a great value) so your ROI on the MBA is likely to be much higher without having to pay for at least the first year.

The challenge you may run into should you choose to come to Madison is placement on the east coast. UW's site states that about 60% of MBA grads land in the midwest (mostly Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis) with the remaining 40% fairly evenly distributed across the country (see http://bus.wisc.edu/mba/your-career/job-placement-salary-stats).

Good luck with your decision!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 21:24
I would take the money, unless you REALLY want to go to Duke (it's your dream school or something).
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 502 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 00:21
Hi , my formula is simple:

if to choose between any school from top16 - take cash.
if to choose between any school from non-top16 - take cash.

if top-16 vs. non-top16 consider factors other than cash, since your are going into brand management - name is important, and since Duke is in top16, it is wise to consider brand name vs. cash.

Also please consider that you are not receiving pure "cash", they just offer you a free chair in class room.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Wisconsin with $$$ vs Duke for Brand Management   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2012, 00:21