Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With a record number of new companies starting up in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
With a record number of new companies starting up in [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 08:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with previously established companies adding many jobs, a record number of new jobs were created last year in the Derderian economy. This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. Therefore, unelss a record number of companies start up this year, Derderia will not break its records for newe jobs created.

which of the following is an assumption on which the agument relies?

a. each year, new companies starting up create more new jbos overall than do previously established companies.
b. companies established last year will not add a greater number of jobs overall this year than they did last year.
c. this year, the new copmanies starting up will not provide substantially more jobs per company than did new companies last year.
d. this year, the overall number of jobs created by previously established companies will be less than the overall number of jobs lost at those companies.
e. the number of jobs created in the derderian economy last year was substantially large than the number of jobs lost last year.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 08:16
most obvious answer for assumption is B
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 08:19
I was leaning more towards (A) here. Negate it and the premise crumbles.

1:33
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 08:30
I think It's C:

A. if that's true and start-ups generate more jobs than old-timers, there needn't be a record number of start ups this year to break the record as the conclusion suggests - the new start ups might just have a higher jobs-per-startup average for instance.

B. this year's oldtimers were last year's startup and we know nothing how many jobs they offered last years as startups - the comparison in the stimulus is between last year's oldtimers (i.e. those set up in Y-2 - grey area for us) and this year's oldtimers. therefore it's not relevant to trhe assumption.

C. this makes sense. if 1) oldies this year provide fewer jobs that last year's oldies (stated explicitly in the stimulus) and 2) as C assumes, the jobs per startup ratio doesn't increase substantially, then the only way to break the record is to have more startups to compensate for oldies' loss

D and E mention the loss while the conclusion refers to the record for jobs created, not the overall job loss/gain (which is jobs gained-jobs lost - then it would be relevant).

quote="lan583"]With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with previously established companies adding many jobs, a record number of new jobs were created last year in the Derderian economy. This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. Therefore, unelss a record number of companies start up this year, Derderia will not break its records for newe jobs created.

a. each year, new companies starting up create more new jbos overall than do previously established companies.
b. companies established last year will not add a greater number of jobs overall this year than they did last year.
c. this year, the new copmanies starting up will not provide substantially more jobs per company than did new companies last year.
d. this year, the overall number of jobs created by previously established companies will be less than the overall number of jobs lost at those companies.
e. the number of jobs created in the derderian economy last year was substantially large than the number of jobs lost last year.[/quote]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 08:40

e. the number of jobs created in the derderian economy last year was substantially large than the number of jobs lost last year.

I am struck between "A" and "B." But, "A" will be my choice.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 08:42
GMATT73 wrote:
I was leaning more towards (A) here. Negate it and the premise crumbles.

1:33

Yes, I think A is very close to the argument, but here is how I pick B (probably wrong, but anyways)

This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. (this is one of the premises) -> so, companies established last year will not add a greater number of jobs overall this year than they did last year. (probably a classic mistake)

BUT Assumption is relied on the argument and the argument is:
Therefore, unelss a record number of companies start up this year, Derderia will not break its records for newe jobs created. -> so, A is more parallel and could be an assumption...

so this is where we make careless mistakes (at least I do)... everyone else who answered B, let this be a lesson to you :wink:

hey Matt... can you apply this Negation strategy and explain it??? please :P
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 09:02
Let's negate B. last year's start ups add a greater nomber of jobs this year as oldies than they did last year than starts up.

trouble is, these guys + oldies from two, three, four years back are covered by this sentence in the stimulus: "This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. "

no matter how many jobs these aged startups add - we know that it will be less than the oldies last year (i.e, excluding last-year record producing startups). therefore the only way to break the record is for this year's startup to outdo last year start ups - oldies certinly won't help no matter hard how last-year record breaking styartsup try.

Y oldies < Y-1 Oldies
for Y oldies + Y startups to be > than Y-1 oldies + Y-1 startups, what conditon must hold?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 10:57
OE is C. I picked B and turned out that C is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 16:23
My answer is A.
What's d OA btw?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 17:00
Answer: C.

CR Gist: "Unless a record number of companies start, the previous record for new employment will not be broken"

So, if less than record number of companies start and all of them together employ more than last year's record, then the CR conclusion would be false.

Therefore, C.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 21:13
C

I was also leaning toward B but its explicitly stated in the argument. Assumptions are never stated in the argument.

Lets negate C. New companies WILL PROVIDE more jobs per company that they did previous year. It means record could be broken. Argument falls.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 15:45
I change my answer from A to C.
Reasoning based on passage stating, "This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. Therefore...unless start up... Derderia will not break its records for new jobs created." meaning it still considers two factors for not breaking record, 1 is from previously estab, and 1 from new comp.
Therefore, A "each year, new companies starting up create more new jbos overall than do previously established companies" is incorrect for it was never assumed that one factor weighs more than the other. It was just stated that both are needed to break records.
C is correct, "each year, new companies starting up create more new jobs overall than do previously established companies"
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 00:18
Mikhail Bondarenko wrote:
I think It's C:

A. if that's true and start-ups generate more jobs than old-timers, there needn't be a record number of start ups this year to break the record as the conclusion suggests - the new start ups might just have a higher jobs-per-startup average for instance.

B. this year's oldtimers were last year's startup and we know nothing how many jobs they offered last years as startups - the comparison in the stimulus is between last year's oldtimers (i.e. those set up in Y-2 - grey area for us) and this year's oldtimers. therefore it's not relevant to trhe assumption.

C. this makes sense. if 1) oldies this year provide fewer jobs that last year's oldies (stated explicitly in the stimulus) and 2) as C assumes, the jobs per startup ratio doesn't increase substantially, then the only way to break the record is to have more startups to compensate for oldies' loss

D and E mention the loss while the conclusion refers to the record for jobs created, not the overall job loss/gain (which is jobs gained-jobs lost - then it would be relevant).

quote="lan583"]With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with previously established companies adding many jobs, a record number of new jobs were created last year in the Derderian economy. This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. Therefore, unelss a record number of companies start up this year, Derderia will not break its records for newe jobs created.

[/quote]

Brilliant explanation :good VERY late but C.
Re: CR   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2006, 00:18