Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With Emergence of Biotechnology Companies, it was feared

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User
With Emergence of Biotechnology Companies, it was feared [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (02:06) correct 20% (02:14) wrong based on 15 sessions
With Emergence of Biotechnology Companies, it was feared that they would impose silence about proprietary results on their in-house researchers and their academic consultants. This Constraint, in turn, would slow the development of biological science and engineering.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to weaken most seriously the prediction of scientific secrecy described above?

A) Biotechnological research funded by industry has reached some conclusions that are of major scientific importance.

B) When the results of scientific research are kept secret, independent researchers are unable to build on those results.

C) Since the research priorities of biotechnology companies are not the same as those of academic institutions, the financial support of research by such companies distorts the research agenda.

D) To enhance the companies' standing in the scientific community, the biotechnology companies encourage employees to publish their results, especially results that are important.

E) Biotechnology companies devote some of their research resources to problems that are of fundamental scientific importance and that are not expected to produce immediate practical applications.

What is meant by "the prediction of scientific secrecy described above:"
Doesnt it mean the conclusion "imposing silence about proprietary results on their in-house researchers and their academic consultants would slow the development of biological science and engineering. " ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Prediction of secrecy ? ? ? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 09:36
The prediction of scientific secrecy is simply the way of referring to the initial statement.

In this one all you need to know is that

1. In house and academic consultants may be kept silent
2. If kept silent it would hurt the field of study from advancing

A. Incorrect. If anything this strengthens the argument since important things will be kept secret

B. Incorrect. This clearly strengthens the argument.

C. Incorrect. Out of scope. Financial reasons have no bearing on the outcome

D. Correct. This states that the prediction is basically false. They will not be kept silent, especially in important research, and their results will be made public to other firms

E. Incorrect. Even if the results are unimportant short term they are still going to slow down others using those results to advance technology.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prediction of secrecy ? ? ? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 23:39
fitzgerald23 wrote:
The prediction of scientific secrecy is simply the way of referring to the initial statement.

In this one all you need to know is that

A. Incorrect. If anything this strengthens the argument since important things will be kept secret

B. Incorrect. This clearly strengthens the argument.

C. Incorrect. Out of scope. Financial reasons have no bearing on the outcome

D. Correct. This states that the prediction is basically false. They will not be kept silent, especially in important research, and their results will be made public to other firms

E. Incorrect. Even if the results are unimportant short term they are still going to slow down others using those results to advance technology.

Hi Fitzgerald , thanks for replying but this is not what i am asking.
I wanna know what does the prediction of secrecy mean ?
Does it mean 1 or 2
or
U said Initial statement ie:1

Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prediction of secrecy ? ? ? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 23:46
Are u eliminating D because 'independent researchers means researchers who dont work for any Biotechnology Company.

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prediction of secrecy ? ? ? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 08:18
this is the typical weaken question , i got this wrong. because i could not single out the conclusion.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Re: Prediction of secrecy ? ? ?   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2011, 08:18