Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 15:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

62% (01:51) correct 37% (01:18) wrong based on 43 sessions
With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

A With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie

B Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels

C Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

D Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels

E Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

Confused as hell. Explanation would be great.

I thought it was D? Can anyone explain why that isn't it? Thanks in advanced.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 19:28
the semi colon is key here. basically you should have 2 complete sentences between semicolon. E makes most sense if you you read both sentences separately

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 10:53
Is'nt there Possesove Poison in Option E ?

Quote:
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

The Antecedent of 'Her' is missing is the entire sentence.

Please advise ?

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 13:00
vwjetty wrote:
With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

A With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie Unclear - what is "with her archaeologist husband"?

B Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels Not quite correct - you can't "use travels to inspire"

C Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels She wasn't inspired because her husband was an archaeologist, she was able to travel because of it.

D Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels This says that Agatha and her husband were both inspired together to write her mystery novels

E Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels Correct - "Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband" is the subject, "served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels" is the predicate.

devashish wrote:
Is'nt there Possesove Poison in Option E ?

Quote:
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

The Antecedent of 'Her' is missing is the entire sentence.

Please advise ?

Agatha Christie is the antecedent of "her".
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 37

Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 19:25
I have the same question.....Isn't there a possesive poison. "Christie's travels ....... her".....Is it a correct comparison. It shoul be " Christy.......her".
So I chose option 'D'.
Experts please explain.

Thanks,
VP

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 5

Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 01:35
This post received
KUDOS
vigneshpandi wrote:
I have the same question.....Isn't there a possesive poison. "Christie's travels ....... her".....Is it a correct comparison. It shoul be " Christy.......her".
So I chose option 'D'.
Experts please explain.

I'm not sure what "possessive poison" means, but I explained why (D) is wrong above. The phrase "Together with her archaeologist husband" if followed immediately by "Agatha Chritie was inspired." This means that Agatha Christie and her husband were both inspired to write her novels, not that she and her husband traveled together.

There's no comparison in (E), so I'm not sure what you're referring to. But I think you're misunderstanding the use of "travels" in this problem. It's not being used as a verb - "Agatha Christie traveled with her husband" - but as a noun. Her travels, which she enjoyed with her husband, inspired several of her novels. If you change it to what you said, you'd have, "Agatha Christie travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels."
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 04:04
IMO E as all others are unnecessarily wordy and using wrong modifiers -with,because,together

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 37

Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 13:41
Thank you Tehjay...+1 for you.

Thanks,
VP

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 10:47
shaselai wrote:
the semi colon is key here. basically you should have 2 complete sentences between semicolon. E makes most sense if you you read both sentences separately

good point here, I missed that in first place....

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Retired Moderator
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 13:24
I had a big confusion with this question when I saw it for the first time as well, and still am not convinced about the validity of (E).

Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband ...

I think in this case the usage of "her" is ambiguous, since it cannot refer to Agatha Christie. The only noun in the sentence is Agatha Christie's travels, which cannot be "her".

I think what I am trying to say is that the meaning of this sentence is not clear if we stick to this usage. Think of it having one of two meanings "AC's travels with AC's husband" & "AC's travels with some-3rd-person's husband". There is no reason to believe the sentence means one or the other without assuming that it means one of these.

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 17:16
shrouded1 wrote:
I had a big confusion with this question when I saw it for the first time as well, and still am not convinced about the validity of (E).

Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband ...

I think in this case the usage of "her" is ambiguous, since it cannot refer to Agatha Christie. The only noun in the sentence is Agatha Christie's travels, which cannot be "her".

I think what I am trying to say is that the meaning of this sentence is not clear if we stick to this usage. Think of it having one of two meanings "AC's travels with AC's husband" & "AC's travels with some-3rd-person's husband". There is no reason to believe the sentence means one or the other without assuming that it means one of these.

"Her" refers to Agatha Christie. "Her travels with her husband served as inspiration..."
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 70

Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:12
C & D have pronoun Their which refers to singular noun, thats why both are wrong.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 10:23
vwjetty wrote:

A With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie

B Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels

C Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

D Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels

E Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

This is a good question and pretty tricky one at that. You really have to consider the answer choices carefully.
We can safely discount answer choices A, B, and C.
Between D and E, we have to consider the principles of concision and redundancy. E is the correct answer.
I chose E because of two reasons: a) "Together with" makes it a redundant phrase. Either use "with" or "together".
(b) D is simply more wordier. Moreover, the use of the word "incorporate" is incorrect in this context. You do not incorporate your travels into novels, rather you get inspired by your travels to put them in novels.
E simply sounds perfect and is more concise.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: Travel [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 11:58
Do you really call this question, SUB 600 question? if so, OMG!
I don't say it's killer, but no much easy
Re: Travel   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2010, 11:58