Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (02:02) correct 33% (00:46) wrong based on 167 sessions
With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels

Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels

Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

Is there a mistake in this question ? In terms of the correct answer having a pronoun without an antecedent?
Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
This is called "possessive poisoning". MGMAT has very good explanation. You can look for Ron's explanation on their forum.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 23:11
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 01:47
E)

None of the other options are correct since they have other huge mistakes like modifier errors and incomplete sentences. I would look over the issue of pronouns in E) since it is sometimes correct.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 04:17
A: 1st: the preposition phrase "With her archaeologist husband" does not correctly modify travels after the comma. 2nd: "...by Agatha Christie." has used a not preferred passive voice.

B: the sentence structure X (Agatha Christie) used Y (travels + husband) to inspire Z (novels). This construction sounds awkward.

C: Although there is no error in this construction, the sentence itself distorts the meaning the author intended.

D: To me this sentence is correct in terms of its grammar and the meaning.

E: The sentence sounds awkward to me, however if it is grammatically correct. we can simplify it - "travels served inspiration" all the rest are modifiers.

I would prefer the answer D, although the OA is E. Please advise.

Don't forget Kudo if you like my answer :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 04:20
A: 1st: the preposition phrase "With her archaeologist husband" does not correctly modify travels after the comma. 2nd: "...by Agatha Christie." has used a not preferred passive voice.

B: the sentence structure X (Agatha Christie) used Y (travels + husband) to inspire Z (novels). This construction sounds awkward.

C: Although there is no error in this construction, the sentence itself distorts the meaning the author intended.

D: To me this sentence is correct in terms of its grammar and the meaning.

E: The sentence sounds awkward to me, however if it is grammatically correct. we can simplify it - "travels served inspiration" all the rest are modifiers.

I would prefer the answer D, although the OA is E. Please advise. :P

Don't forget Kudo if you like my answer :)

Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 07:48
Expert's post
There are two points that should stand out from this topic. First, possessive poison is not an issue in GMAT any more, as explained by MGMAT thoroughly. Logic rather than structure is the crux. For more info, you can follow the link below

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pro ... t9533.html

Second, the text is testing distortion of meaning; it is trying to say that travels inspired Agatha Christie and to confuse that with either her novels or her husband leads to distortion of meaning. The intended right word order for the underlined portion is

Her travels (incidentally) with her archeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels.

I think E only brings out this fact more clearly than do others.

In A, the novels rather than Agatha seem to be inspired: distorted meaning
B states Agatha used her travels to inspire novels - distorted
The distortion is too obvious to mention in C and D.
E singles out her travels which served as an inspiration for her novels. E therefore
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 08:42
Sorry daagh. I dont know why I said poisoning. Yes poisoning is not an issue here.

"her" is possessive pronoun and can refer to Christie's. dégagé !
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 23:56
tradinggenius wrote:
With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie ( misplaced modifier, with her archaeologist husband)

Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels ( did travels inspire christie or did christie inspire novels)

Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
( too wordy + 'their' refers to ?)

Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels ( was her husband also inspired to write novels ? i never heard about any of his books :d )

Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

Is there a mistake in this question ? In terms of the correct answer having a pronoun without an antecedent?
Thanks

you asked a good question in the end, but can a pronoun serve as an antecedent for another pronoun ? aren't the two 'her' making the sentence very clear ?

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Last edited by garimavyas on 08 Mar 2011, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700-800 Modifiers MGMAT , AGTHA CHRISTIE [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 00:02
@daagh , thanks for the link, i never could digest the section on possessive poison in mgmat sc guide. good riddance.http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pro ... t9533.html

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 19:49
I read the MGMAT link posted above, but I still have a doubt.

What's the noun for 'her' in E. Possessive 'hers' can refer back to Agatha Christie's, but how could her.

Am I missing something?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 04:47
schandok wrote:
I read the MGMAT link posted above, but I still have a doubt.

What's the noun for 'her' in E. Possessive 'hers' can refer back to Agatha Christie's, but how could her.

Am I missing something?

A possesive pronoun can refer to a possesive ('s).
For example:
Steve Jobs's ipod is as awesome as HIS other inventions.
"his" refers to Steve Jobs.
It is the only exception in which a pronoun can refer to a noun that is not acting as a noun.

Hope it helps.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 75

Re: With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 18:40
E) Clarifies that Agatha Christoe's travel WITH her archaeologist husband WAS inspirational for the mystery novels written by her

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 03:42
D )Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels

E )Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

I choose D .Although it is gramatically correct ,it seems to change the meaning of the sentence .Only E remains.

But analysing E also closely i get a doubt .Can her travel be an inspiration for her novels ? It has to be an inspiration to her only right ?

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 00:16
this is a hard and nice question.

I got E rightly. but this question makes me think about the way, the process of solving this problem.

in this problem, the meaning relation between entities (between verb/verbal and subject or between verb and verb, between noun and its adjectival or between noun and adverbial ) is distorted in incorrect answer choices.

wheneve we see this type , ask ourself" what is the meaning relation between those entities?

for native that process happen automatically because they realize the illogic relation. for us, the non native, we need to ask a question which help us realize the problem, the logic relation.

If anyone in this gmat forum know anybody traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam on around 25 Jan 2014, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some problem and need your help. Thank

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 01:48
E is the correct one. I think this is a question where we have to pay more attention to the meaning compared to the other SC sentences.

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

Re: With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2013, 01:48