Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 06:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (01:56) correct 20% (00:10) wrong based on 51 sessions
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore lan [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 08:39
Here, there are two problems with the original sentence.
1. Correct idiom is "looking at"
2. Subject cleveland is singular

CL 1 > With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land,
CL 2> Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes
CL 3> that is looking to its waterfront
CL 4> as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
new businesses.

jitgoel wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract >> wrong
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract >> Correct
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract >> Wrong
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting >> Wrong
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract >> Subject Cleveland singular. So, "are" is incorrect.

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 9

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Here, there are two problems with the original sentence.
1. Correct idiom is "looking at"
2. Subject cleveland is singular

I think it should be E.

I definitely agree with 1.
I disagree with 2.

Let's dissect this phrase "Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that" and determine what "that" is referring to.

Cleveland = subject, is = verb.
One of a large number of = quantity adjectives/modifier (not sure what this should be called)
communities = subject, on the Great Lakes = modifier for the subject (communities)

So notice how communities do not have a verb. Thus the next verb, should be a plural to match communities.
And "that" should be referring to "communities".

IMO this should be a 700+ question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 11:14
I think that the entire phrase "but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes" acts as a modifier for the subject Cleveland; therefore, Cleveland is the subject of the restrictive clause.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 11:22
In this sentence, Cleveland, a singular sub is referred, so 'is' should be used? Please clarify. Many thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 11

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
Breezy1122 wrote:
I think that the entire phrase "but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes" acts as a modifier for the subject Cleveland; therefore, Cleveland is the subject of the restrictive clause.

I am torn bw b and e but more leaning towards B for the explanation quoted.
My only question is if we take out the restrictive clause, we have "Cleveland is one that is looking out .....".

Does this makes sense grammatically?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 07:59
Cathy8630 wrote:
Breezy1122 wrote:

I am torn bw b and e but more leaning towards B for the explanation quoted.
My only question is if we take out the restrictive clause, we have "Cleveland is one that is looking out .....".

Does this makes sense grammatically?

Based on what I got from Manhattan, I thought the noun in the "of" phrase (object of the preposition) determines whether to use a singular or plural verb. None of the garbage was picked up vs None of the sentences were punctuated correctly.

So I don't think you can remove "one of a large number of communities..."
But I may be wrong. What is the OA?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 08:22
jitgoel wrote:
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Can you please post the OA and Official Explanation?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 10:02
D for me. the pronouns used are in order and the parallelism is maintained(if this is a trap, i took the bait).OA please

this time, we play for keeps

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 478 [1] , given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In this question, we want 'looking to', as the cities are looking to their waterfronts to help out (the cities are not literally viewing their waterfronts, the way 'looking at' implies). So we can get rid of (B) and (E). Next, we have 'but one...large number...communities that'. Because the relative clause is modifying communities, we want the plural form, 'are' and the plural pronoun 'their', which leaves us with (C).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 03:52

we need plural verb here so A and B ruled out

in C,D and E
'D' is out same pronoun agreement 'its'

in C and E
in E
<== A large number of communities are looking to their waterfront as way they can improve.....
E implies ==> just by looking at waterfront they can improve.........

Only C is correct

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 04:41
I have got this question wrong. Can anyone please explain what is the antecedent of the pronoun 'that' in this sentence?
I am really confused with this sentence.

Quote:

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 05:12
premnath wrote:
I have got this question wrong. Can anyone please explain what is the antecedent of the pronoun 'that' in this sentence?
I am really confused with this sentence.

Quote:

A large number of communities

In S-V agreement in "A large number of X"

look at 'X' whether its singular and plural and accordingly use singular and plural verb.
here "A large number of communities" <== needs plural verb.

Another way is which i use:-

A large number of communities....................are looking....(skip in between stuff and read the sentence whether its making sense)
maybe you have mistaken 'Cleveland' as subject if i am not wrong?
if you have then apply same rule.
Cleveland......are looking....<== these implication does not make sense.

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 29

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 05:21
ChrisLele wrote:
In this question, we want 'looking to', as the cities are looking to their waterfronts to help out (the cities are not literally viewing their waterfronts, the way 'looking at' implies). So we can get rid of (B) and (E). Next, we have 'but one...large number...communities that'. Because the relative clause is modifying communities, we want the plural form, 'are' and the plural pronoun 'their', which leaves us with (C).

suppose i have no clue about the correct idiom,How to ensure that relative clause "that" is modifying communities not Cleveland
SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 06:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2013, 06:30