Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 08:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Pls. explain. I guess its the same concept as the question that I posted right before this (SC:Very tricky). I think I have the concept wrong.
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Another tricky one [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 08:39
GK_Gmat wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Pls. explain. I guess its the same concept as the question that I posted right before this (SC:Very tricky). I think I have the concept wrong.

I am little confused between 'A' and 'B' ...but would like to go for 'B' since its more consice

By the way..from my notes ...

One of the: The pattern to remember is ‘one of the NOUN (this noun will always be plural) + that/who + PLURAL VERB

Example : He is one of the persons who make money.

This is one of the cars that run on hydrogen.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 4

Re: SC: Another tricky one [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 04:50
GK_Gmat wrote:

http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t30960
use the search button
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Another tricky one [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 07:45
Sachu wrote:
GK_Gmat wrote:

I am little confused between 'A' and 'B' ...but would like to go for 'B' since its more consice

One of the: The pattern to remember is ‘one of the NOUN (this noun will always be plural) + that/who + PLURAL VERB

I went thru the entire link posted by bmwhype2 posted but still didn't understand; only thing I took from that post is that the plural 'are' is required because of the word 'that' -- but I still don't understand why.

I guess that if I can remember the above rule (in bold) then choice C makes perfect sense.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC: Another tricky one [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 07:59
GK_Gmat wrote:
Sachu wrote:
GK_Gmat wrote:

I went thru the entire link posted by bmwhype2 posted but still didn't understand; only thing I took from that post is that the plural 'are' is required because of the word 'that' -- but I still don't understand why.

I guess that if I can remember the above rule (in bold) then choice C makes perfect sense.

that restricts the nearest noun. In this case its communities which is plural and hence it requires a plural ARE (that ARE looking to their (plural pronoun))
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 08:04
THAT does not restrict prepositional phrases.

look at the book on top of the table that fell down.
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Another tricky one [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 08:18
GK_Gmat wrote:
Sachu wrote:
GK_Gmat wrote:

Sorry I made a mistake in applying the rule ...the rule I posted is correct ...so the answer should be 'C'....
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 08:24
bmwhype2 wrote:

I disagree.

First of all I didn't understand why you chose this example because the verb following THAT is fell which remains unaffected regardless of whether "on top of the table" is included in the sentence or not.

I'd like to point to some of your own examples

one (of the cars that run on hydrogen) is brown ---> that restricts cars; it's one of the cars that RUN not one of the cars that RUNS

one (of the cars that run on hydrogen) [in North America] is brown

one (of a large number of communities [on the Great Lakes] that are looking

and so on...

IMO that always restricts the nearest noun regardless of whether the noun is the object of a preposition. Prepositional phrases are parenthetical as far as subject-verb agreement is considered - the true subject of the sentence remains unaffected by an intervening prepo phrase.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 19:11
trivikram wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

I disagree.

First of all I didn't understand why you chose this example because the verb following THAT is fell which remains unaffected regardless of whether "on top of the table" is included in the sentence or not.

I'd like to point to some of your own examples

one (of the cars that run on hydrogen) is brown ---> that restricts cars; it's one of the cars that RUN not one of the cars that RUNS

one (of the cars that run on hydrogen) [in North America] is brown

one (of a large number of communities [on the Great Lakes] that are looking

and so on...

IMO that always restricts the nearest noun regardless of whether the noun is the object of a preposition. Prepositional phrases are parenthetical as far as subject-verb agreement is considered - the true subject of the sentence remains unaffected by an intervening prepo phrase.
Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

I CONCUR

sorry for the late reply. started studying for CFA level 2. i've put SC behind me...

Here is the breakdown:
(Out of America's fascination) (with all things antique) has grown a market (for bygone styles) (of furniture and fixtures) that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
  [#permalink] 23 Sep 2007, 19:11