Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 14:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

shubhangi

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 14:15
Ans: C

one of many that are is the usage!
We look to something for possible solution.

Last edited by kpadma on 30 Apr 2004, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sc [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 15:44
shubhangi wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Hmmm, I choose A. I thought the subject of the sentence was singular. I could be totally wrong about this, but I always thought that the subject of a sentence could not be in a prepositional phrase.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 15:56
C it is
one of X + verb

If "one" and "X" can perform the action intended by the verb, the verb is conjugated with subject immediately following it --> X(plural form)

An example where you conjugate with the former, singular, subject:
Two members of the committee believe that ...
In above example, the committee cannot perform the action of believing. It is its members who believe, hence, verb "believe" is conjugated in plural form with "two members"

Best Regards,

Paul

Last edited by Paul on 30 Apr 2004, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 16:05
Paul wrote:
C it is
one of X + verb

If "one" and "X" can perform the action intended by the verb, the verb is conjugated with subject immediately following it --> X(plural form)

An example where you conjugate with the former, singular, subject:
Two members of the committee believe that ...
In above example, the committee cannot perform the action of believing. It is its members who believe, hence, verb "are" is conjugated in plural form with "two members"

What if you have one member of the committe? Sorry to keep rehashing this. I think I'm confused now :stupid (My only consolation is that I get to use these funny icons!)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 16:11
then "believes" would be the proper conjugation because "one" is singular. Note though that verb "believing" is not singular because "committe" is singular but because "one" is.

In the original question, both "Cleveland" and "large number of communities" can perform the action of "looking". Hence, "are" is the proper form which conjugates with the immediately preceding subject, "large number of communities"

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 17:38
Hmm... I think I see. So the verb has to be plural to agree with Cleveland and large number of communities.

I think that the of a large number confused me. I disected the sentence and lost track of what was going on :oops:

Thanks Paul!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 17:55
jo1to6 wrote:
Hmm... I think I see. So the verb has to be plural to agree with Cleveland and large number of communities.

The verb "are looking" agrees with the immediately preceding subject "large number of communities"

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 20:10
but it says that Cleavland in one but large communities.. so it is mentioning jsut cleavland and its singular..is it not?
my guess was A .. but the OA is C ......i totally disagree.. with it

shubhangi

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 20:14
i know paul explanation is right but .......... :wall

shubhangi

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: sc [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 20:28
shubhangi wrote:

A simple rule here shubhangi

one of NOUN (this is always plural) + PLURAL VERB

one of a large number of communities + are

good enough?
Re: sc   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2004, 20:28