Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 05:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

38% (01:46) correct 62% (00:57) wrong based on 404 sessions
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 08 Jun 2013, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: improve [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 09:05
Stuck between A and B. Choosing B for looking at.

In C, D, and E "are" is not required. Cleveland is ..........................that is
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: improve [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 11:30
prinits wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.
(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

I choose option C.

We need "that are" because the "that" is referring to "communities. So we're left with options C, D, and E. D must be eliminated because it uses "its", which is wrong because it's suppose to refer to "communities." Between options C and E, I pick C because I find it more concise than option E.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [3] , given: 1

Re: improve [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 18:17
This post received
KUDOS
tarek99 wrote:
prinits wrote:

I choose option C.

We need "that are" because the "that" is referring to "communities. So we're left with options C, D, and E. D must be eliminated because it uses "its", which is wrong because it's suppose to refer to "communities." Between options C and E, I pick C because I find it more concise than option E.

C, IMO. Clearly A and B are out because of is looking

among C,D and E, D is out. are looking to its is erroneous.

C and E. Well, in E, you have looking at and in C, you have looking to.

What are you looking at? I am looking at this wall painting -- check the intention of the usage of looking at. The usage is clearly not suited for this SC statement; you just look at something as in 'You are looking at somebody improve something'

What are you doing? I am looking to improve my GMAT verbal. You can't look at improving your GMAT verbal!

so it is C

Is this okay?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: improve [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 00:36
I take E. But with little confidence.

C or E question.

E: "look at ... as ..." seems right idiom.
C: "look to Waterfront to improve urban life" just sounds odd to me. No logical background.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: improve [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 01:32
paneer wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
prinits wrote:

I choose option C.

C, IMO. Clearly A and B are out because of is looking

among C,D and E, D is out. are looking to its is erroneous.

C and E. Well, in E, you have looking at and in C, you have looking to.

What are you looking at? I am looking at this wall painting -- check the intention of the usage of looking at. The usage is clearly not suited for this SC statement; you just look at something as in 'You are looking at somebody improve something'

What are you doing? I am looking to improve my GMAT verbal. You can't look at improving your GMAT verbal!

so it is C

would you say that "looking at" means to look at something, whereas "looking to" means considering?
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: improve [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 02:58
Masamune wrote:
I take E. But with little confidence.

C or E question.

E: "look at ... as ..." seems right idiom.
C: "look to Waterfront to improve urban life" just sounds odd to me. No logical background.

In E - looking at their waterfronts as a way sounds awkward. It sounds as waterfronts are ways to improve the quality etc.

I also vote for C

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: improve [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 05:05
prinits wrote:

I am with D ...

my reasoning is a 'are' is required since 'that' represents 'communities' and 'its' is required to represent great lakes?

I am not sure why 'their' in option E is correct ... isn't 'their' represents communities?

IMO D.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 142 [3] , given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Subject/Verb agreement: subject-verb-agreement-159965.html
Questions on Subject/Verb agreement to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=131

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 02:11

"is but one" implies that it is part, but not all of the communities, so it is plural. We can discard A+B on this basis. The possesive pronoun must be "their" (plural) not it's (singular) so we can disgard D.

Chosing between C and E: In E what is the antecendant of "they" communties or waterfronts. So the only answer left is C

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 55

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 22:42
Among so many rules for S-V , this sentence is exception

When discussing fractions or percentages, always get the verb to agree with the subject after the preposition. This is an exception to the preposition rule discussed earlier.
e.g. Half of the money is stolen
e.g. Half of the books are stolen

Hope it helps :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 01:51
why E is wrong?

PLeae, show the source of this question. I do not think this is og question

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 480 Q31 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 01:21
vietmoi999 wrote:
why E is wrong?

PLeae, show the source of this question. I do not think this is og question

Agreed.
I guess it is from 1000 SC
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore   [#permalink] 26 May 2014, 01:21