Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: world's population [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 11:48
E.

The beginning of the sentence is trying to set up a contrast. Although sets it up properly.

GOAL: 7xx

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: world's population [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 13:57
It is E, most definitely.

The "only" indicates that there is a contrast to the following statements, so we know it should be a despite or although type sentence. It is saying although the citizens make up a small amount, they consume a lot.

(A) With This could technically work as contrast, bu it does not as much as the other choices.
(B) As This could technically work as contrast, but it does not as much as the other choices.
(C) Being Not enough contrast comparatively again and also a pretty bland word against the other choices
(D) Despite having This is tricky; this first clause matches with "United States citizens", so this is effectively reading as "Despite having only 5 percent...United States citizens". United States citizens do not have the population, the country does.
(E) Although accounting for This is correct. It matches up by correctly pairing "citizens" with a logical statement of "Although accounting for only 5 percent...United States citizens".

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

About the noun phrase question: I believe although is a subordinate conjunction, so it works in this sentence in that the dependent clause comes first. Even if it is a noun phrase, putting the comma in after the clause is indicating that the clause/phrase is dependent, and therefore legal as long as it is followed by an independent clause. Although is the same type of word as because.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: world's population [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 19:35
E only because the tone of the sentence is one of disapproval where it clears states that although only 5% you consume more.
Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: world's population [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 10:37
E it is.

Contrast required.
5% population ==> but high consumption

so only D and E left (despite and although)

Despite having is modifying the US not it's citizens so wrong
E is correct as modifying US citizens.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 16:46
true E is the best of the worst . but the question is " can we use although ,which is sub-ordinate conjunction " without having subject and verb (although needs clause) ???
bt here there is no subject .....so it might be wrong then
i think it would not be frm renown branded sources rather it wud downside our grammar knowledge ...

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 20:17
Ok by now everybody should have narrowed this problem down to A, D and E.

A is ambiguous because when you use with, what it really means is that "With the help of". e.g. With 100 soldiers in the army, the opposition cruised to victory.
D is wrong because despite having can't be used in the cases of numbers. The contexts I have seen people using despite having goes something like this: Despite having early success in his career, George couldn't capitalize to move up the career ladder.

I guess this the reason
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 04:04
IMO E. Needs a contrast. If not A would've been ok too..

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 10:41
Despite having .... --> the question is what/who has ? its the USA not US citizen who has 5% of the world population
Although accounting for ... -> the questions is who accounts for ? it is the US citizens who account for 5 % of the world population
therefore the correct answer is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 06:00
The US citizen account for the 5 percent of world population and they consume much more when compared to world's population. So there must be a contrast here . Therefore A,B and C out.

Despite having percent of world population, US citizens

It is understood that the US constitute the 5 percent of world population. However the intending meaning is US citizens.

Therefore E

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 182

Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 00:56
This sentence requires contrast, hence only D & E are contenders.

(D) Despite having
--"Despite having" incorrectly refers to "United states Citizens". It should refer to "United States" only.
(E) Although accounting for
-- This is correct

Hence choice(E) is the answer.

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
Tough RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 06:37
Though I chose E here, I am not happy with the option. Isn't "Although accounting for" a phrase?

My understanding is that "Although" is a subordinating conjunction and hence needs independent clauses to make them dependent. However, in the given question it is definitely not the case. So I conclude that my understanding is completely wrong. Can you please help?

The basis for my understanding was

OG 13 SC-74 Option E was eliminated stating "Although is a conjunction and should be followed by a finite clause with a subject, not by a participle. In addition....<snip>...optimal"

Another example:
OG 13 SC-132. The heirlooms question. Option A.

So how can GMAT choose E is an option in this sentence. Please help.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 159 [1] , given: 4

Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi - Again here we find ourself in the realms of the 'most correct' answer.

Your point has specifically been dealt with previously:

Quote:
Good point here, I remember reading something like this in the Idioms chapter and it made me scan through the MG SC guide again. What's stated there is 'Although' should 'generally' be followed by a clause. Since this is not out and out a strict rule, in the absence of a better answer choice we could ignore this rule. The following statement has been marked 'suspect' in SC guide and not 'wrong': "Although a frequent napper, I study effectively"

In general, it is clear that E is the most correct answer - so don't fret about the details and move on.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 1066 [0], given: 118

Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 15:06
plumber250 wrote:
Hi - Again here we find ourself in the realms of the 'most correct' answer.

Your point has specifically been dealt with previously:

Quote:
Good point here, I remember reading something like this in the Idioms chapter and it made me scan through the MG SC guide again. What's stated there is 'Although' should 'generally' be followed by a clause. Since this is not out and out a strict rule, in the absence of a better answer choice we could ignore this rule. The following statement has been marked 'suspect' in SC guide and not 'wrong': "Although a frequent napper, I study effectively"

In general, it is clear that E is the most correct answer - so don't fret about the details and move on.

James

Hi James.

Do you think E has problem? I think the correct structure is [although + clause]. Please advise.
Thanks.

pqhai

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 10:22
Answer: E

With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do.

(A) With - With modifies citizens incorrectly
(B) As - Wrong usage
(C) Being - Incorrectly used
(D) Despite having - Wrongly modifies citizens again
(E) Although accounting for - Correct! - modifies citizens best out of all of the solutions.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 22:43
With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do.

(A) With ---- DOES NOT MODIFY Citizens
(B) As ---DOES NOT MODIFY Citizens
(C) Being ---DOES NOT MODIFY Citizens
(D) Despite having ----DOES NOT MODIFY Citizens
(E) Although accounting for --clearly citizens are accounting for 5% of the population --- Also this sentence requires contrast between 5% and 28% which is achieved by E
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 01:40
The answer can not be E as "although" requires a clause and "Although accounting for ...' lacks a main verb to form a clause.

None of the answers fit correctly. To me, this appears to be bogus question. What is the source?
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 01:40