Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [250]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [105]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [51]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [24]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think the answer is E.

The subject is "United States citizens". If we flip the sentence around it might help.

United States citizens "with" only 5 percent of the world’s population -> wrong
United States citizens "as" only 5 percent of the world’s population -> seems a bit wrong
United States citizens "being" only 5 percent of the world’s population -> strange sentence construction
United States citizens "despite having" only 5 percent of the world’s population -> this would be correct if it was united states instead of citizens
United States citizens "although accounting for" only 5 percent of the world’s population -> citizens can account for 5% so this seems right to me.

What is the OA?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
bigoyal wrote:
With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do.

(A) With
(B) As
(C) Being
(D) Despite having
(E) Although accounting for

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that United States citizens comprise only 5 percent of the world's population, but they consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do.

Concepts tested here: Meaning

A: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "With only 5 percent of the world's population"; the use of "With" illogically implies that United States citizens posses only 5 percent of the world's population; the intended meaning is that United States citizens comprise only 5 percent of the world's population.

B: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "As only 5 percent of the world's population"; the use of "As" illogically implies that in their role as only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do; the intended meaning is that United States citizens comprise only 5 percent of the world's population, but they consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do.

C: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Being only 5 percent of the world's population"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that United States citizens comprise only 5 percent of the world's population, so they consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do; the intended meaning is that United States citizens comprise only 5 percent of the world's population, but they consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do.

D: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Despite having only 5 percent of the world's population"; the use of "having" illogically implies that United States citizens posses only 5 percent of the world's population; the intended meaning is that United States citizens comprise only 5 percent of the world's population.

E: Correct. The sentence formed by this answer choice uses the phrase "Although accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population", conveying the intended meaning - that United States citizens comprise only 5 percent of the world's population, but they consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
E

read it as - US citizens "with/as/being/having/accounting for" 5% of the world's population...

In addition, the sentense needs to contrast US citizens with other citizens. Thus "although accounting for" is more logically sound.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
I have my doubts about E.

"Although" cannot be followed by a noun phrase; it needs a clause.
Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q43  V41
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years
Send PM
Kudos
metallicafan wrote:
I have my doubts about E.

"Although" cannot be followed by a noun phrase; it needs a clause.
Thoughts?

Good point here, I remember reading something like this in the Idioms chapter and it made me scan through the MG SC guide again. What's stated there is 'Although' should 'generally' be followed by a clause. Since this is not out and out a strict rule, in the absence of a better answer choice we could ignore this rule. The following statement has been marked 'suspect' in SC guide and not 'wrong': "Although a frequent napper, I study effectively"

I voted for E because the statement needed a contrast, but I still can't figure out why 'As' is wrong. Just like "As a child, I thought I could fly" is correct, why is "As X, United States citizens...." wrong? Can't we use 'As' as a preposition here and isn't X = "Only 5% of the world's population" a noun phrase? I guess I'm missing something silly here...

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Maybe. But not in E alone, in all choices. You see, the citizens part is not even underlined. But I think the point of this question is whether the modifiers fit in logically with what they seek to modify.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-23-2015
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V28
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
The best choices are obviously C & E. But Why should I choose E over C. Even C is perfectly alright from grammatical point of view
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Dear mikemcgarry sir,
How are you?
Would you please help me with this question?

"although accounting for" is correct answer, Why not "although accounted for"? What's the difference between these two?
I think C (being) is wrong, but i can't understand why...

Thanks in advance...
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [7]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos