Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 18

With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:22) correct 42% (01:55) wrong based on 178 sessions
With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining economy, overall housing sales are down by more than 40% percent. Online real estate broker sites, however, have seen increased traffic and revenues are up by more than 10 percent in the slumping real estate market.

Each of the following, if true, helps to explain the improved performance of online real estate brokers during the housing slump EXCEPT:

A) During a slump in the housing market, buyers are more likely to shop online broker sites in search of the best possible price.

B) When the housing market is strong, both buyers and sellers rely on traditional real estate brokers in an order to buy or sell property more quickly.

C) The cost of selling a property with an online broker is a fraction of the cost of using a traditional real estate broker.

D) Online brokers devote more advertising resources to attracting customers during a downturn in the real estate market than do traditional retailers.

E) Customers of online brokers, but not customers of traditional brokers, can control the cost of listing and selling their house by choosing from a number of available packages and options.

Please post your opinions on the best ways to tackle these type of questions with minimum time consumption. :wink:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1380 [4] , given: 122

Re: With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 01:42
This post received
KUDOS
Hi mate. You deserve a kudo. Very impressive question.

Three important notes:

(1) The logic of the question, which I believe is more of LSAT than of GMAT, is:
A ==> B
Not A ==> Not B .

This is WRONG conclusion.
For example:
I love wearing suit in formal events. This does NOT mean I don’t love wearing suit in non-formal events.

(2) This is “except” question. Be aware!

(3) In paradox questions, there is NO conclusion, just facts.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining economy, overall housing sales are down by more than 40% percent.
Fact: Online real estate broker sites, however, have seen increased traffic and revenues are up by more than 10 percent in the slumping real estate market.

Question: Each of the following, if true, helps to explain the improved performance of online real estate brokers during the housing slump EXCEPT:

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

A) During a slump in the housing market, buyers are more likely to shop online broker sites in search of the best possible price.
Wrong. A can explain the paradox. If buyers are more likely to shop online broker ==> Online real estate brokers’ revenue increase.

B) When the housing market is strong, both buyers and sellers rely on traditional real estate brokers in an order to buy or sell property more quickly.
Correct. That people prefer tradition brokers in strong market does NOT mean people prefer non-traditional brokers, says online brokers, in weak market. This is WRONG logic and does not help to explain the paradox.

C) The cost of selling a property with an online broker is a fraction of the cost of using a traditional real estate broker.
Wrong. Clearly C explains why online brokers’ revenue increase.

D) Online brokers devote more advertising resources to attracting customers during a downturn in the real estate market than do traditional retailers.
Wrong. Clearly D explains why online brokers’ revenue increase.

E) Customers of online brokers, but not customers of traditional brokers, can control the cost of listing and selling their house by choosing from a number of available packages and options.
Wrong. Same as in A. If customers prefer online brokers for their conveniences, online brokers’ revenue will increase.

Hope it helps a bit.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 18

Re: With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 02:25
Hi pqhai,

That was a very helpful explanation. I am struggling with timing issues especially when I face these type of "EXCPET" question. My main aim behind posting this question is to get some techniques to improve timing along with accuracy. It took me closer to 3:00 minutes to get the right answer. :(

Help please.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 155

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 00:44
Why does the option D says tradition retailers? Just to confuse you?
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 4

Re: With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 10:22
b2bt wrote:
Why does the option D says tradition retailers? Just to confuse you?

Hey B2bt,

I hope I'm getting your question right, shout if not:

'traditional retailer' is basically a term used for 'bricks and mortar' business, and is used to contrast with online retailers.

So in this case it is used to allow the author to set up a comparison between online and non online ('traditional).

Hope that helps

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User
With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 03:27
Hi ,

I'm reopening this discussion. Need help to understand why D helps explain the paradox here.

D just says that Online retailers spend more resources on attracting new customers that the traditional retailers. So what??
This does not guarantee that those attracted would necessarily convert into sales.
I do agree B is correct answer but I'm just analyzing the options here.
Need expert advise. Please help
With problems in the mortgage industry and a declining   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2014, 03:27