Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

with total population of less than two hundred and fewer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 193

with total population of less than two hundred and fewer [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 16:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:04) correct 44% (00:36) wrong based on 18 sessions
with total population of less than two hundred and fewer breeding females than ever before, the american crocodile seemed a decade ago to be in danger of disappearing.

of less than two hundred and fewer

lower than two hundred and less

lesser than two hundred and fewer

fewer than two hundred and less

of fewer than two hundred and of fewer
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think the text per se is good enough. Here the total population refers the quantum of two hundred and as such the non- countable comparative degree adjective ‘less’ should be used. We shouldn’t be tempted to think that two hundred is a number which can be counted as one and two hundred etc and entails fewer or lower.

Of course we must use the countable adjective fewer for the breeder females.

I feel there is no difference between leas and lesser. Both are useable and interchangeable. But ‘less’ is more often used than ‘lesser’.

So we can limit to Choice A and C and further narrow down to A because it is more often used

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 7

Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 12:46
Just a quick caution here. Choosing one phrase over another because it is used more often can be extremely dangerous. For example:

"I like to travel to places like the beach." --> This implies that I don't actually like going to the beach, but that I like going to places SIMILAR to the beach. (Maybe a water park or a sandbox or something).

"I like to travel to places such as the beach." --> This means I like going to the beach, but we rarely say it this way in everyday speech.

With that said, I'd push people to not just consider the single word used in this and other questions (less vs. lesser) but the phrase overall ("of less than" vs. "lesser than) and try to determine why one of these is right and the other is wrong.

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 18:25
Expert's post
Quote:
BKimball wrote

With that said, I'd push people to not just consider the single word used in this and other questions (less vs. lesser) but the phrase overall ("of less than" vs. "lesser than) and try to determine why one of these is right and the other is wrong.

Can you please tell us which is correct? Of less than Choice A or lesser than (Choice C).

Coming back to your example of the word ‘like’, the use of the same word in two different meanings is not equal to the use of two different words in the same meaning, which is what the text is about. Can you please give some more examples in which we have to choose between two altogether different words but with the same meaning such as equal and equalant etc.

I also feel that it is not fair to compare a word in spoken form with its written form.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 18:42
Expert's post
With due respects to Bkimball's views, which he is entitled for, just as I am for my own views which I cherish, let me make out a few things. I think that this forum is neither for teaching nor for exploring English grammar. This is for teaching enough grammar to cross over the GMAT. Within that pressure cooker time of the real-time GMAT, the test taker must know the shortest but the safest means ticking the right ones. Knowledge of grammar is subservient to this purpose.

But let me reiterate that I respect other views too.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 193

Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:21
i opted C not because of countable and non countable but because of parallelism .... lesser... fewer ...

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 10:11
With total population of less than two hundred and fewer breeding females than ever before, the american crocodile seemed a decade ago to be in danger of disappearing.

of less than two hundred and fewer - preposition "of" not required

lower than two hundred and less - "lower than"...."less" same word different tenses

lesser than two hundred and fewer - when in context of "number" less is used....then fewer countable noun for "females"

fewer than two hundred and less - awkward

of fewer than two hundred and of fewer - same as A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 10:35
ha ha..got answer for all of us.
we know why A and C are the contenders.
We must have read this, Positive/Comparative/Superlative - Little/less/least.

the sentence is already in the comparative form "of less"....using "lesser" making the context less twice is incorrect.
So A is the best.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 57

Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 21:52
here is a really good write up on this topic --
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... tml#p26913
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 7

Re: countable nouns [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 06:39
daagh,

I completely understand what you're saying and didn't intend for this to be a purely theoretical discussion of grammar. That said, I have spent a lot of time taking, teaching, and reviewing the GMAT and I believe that you need to understand certain fundamental grammatical concepts to do well on SC. Although there are rules that get shared on many forums ("Being is always wrong" / "The shortest answer is always right" / etc.) the reality is that the only real hard and fast rule on SC is that "The right answer must be grammatically correct." Although students can probably increase their scores to a certain point using shortcuts, most of the comments I see on this forum are from students who say their goal scores are 650-750. For better or for worse, that's why I often post about the grammar behind SC questions.

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: countable nouns   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2010, 06:39