Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [41]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [14]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Send PM
Re: With total sales of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Should be A

Both 'Less than' and 'fewer' is rightly used.

Less than is used to show decrease in value and lower than in physical level. For example water level is lower than
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Re: With total sales of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer [#permalink]
For dollar sales u need to use less,
It is an idiomatic expression.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Disagree with the explanation given:

This is not a matter of idiomatic usage. When a collection of units acts as a unified whole, it is considered one, singular unit.

Consider for example the following two sentences:

Four hours is a long time.

v.s.

The four hours were excruciating. (Though it is hoped that they will not be if you practice enough :wink: )

The first "four hours" act one unit, and the second "four hours" are being considered individually.

In most of the SC problems, # + Unit (time, currency, weight, distance, etc.) = SINGULAR (and therefore non-count).

If this helped, kindly give Kudos!

For more on this subject, check out the the second lesson in SC-- Subject-Verb Agreement -- at gmaxonline
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Why is option (C) wrong inspite of the parallelism?

With total sales of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer new subscribers than last year, the New England Theatre Company is in danger of losing its building.

A. of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer

C. lesser than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi seekmba,

As nightwing79 posted above, the difference between less and lesser is not grammatical-- both words are the comparative. However, they have different meanings. "Lesser" means inferior, while "less" relates to quantity. Thus, meaning, not parallelism is the issue in C.

Best,
Sarai
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
By looking at AND i thought this issue is also testing parallelism. Are less and fewer parallel?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [8]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
 Q40  V42
WE 1: 3 yrs f/t manager in aerospace (IT - Commercial - Int'l Mktg)
WE 2: 5 yrs freelance consultant to Gov't
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ZMAT wrote:
By looking at AND i thought this issue is also testing parallelism. Are less and fewer parallel?

Quote:
With total sales of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer new subscribers than last year, the New England Theater Company is in danger of losing its building.

[highlight](A) of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer[/highlight]
(B) lower than three hundred thousand dollars and less
(C) lesser than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer
(D) fewer than three hundred thousand dollars and less
(E) of fewer than three hundred thousand dollars and of fewer

It's not a parallelism it's testing for here but a less than vs. fewer choice.... some posts here have suggested C - but if you insert option C into the sentence you can see this is wrong... "With total sales lesser than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer"... (ouch!).

'Lesser' is rarely used but occasionally seen in a comparitive sense as in 'the least of' (e.g. "it is the lesser of two evils"), or occasionally appearing in names of animals "the lesser spotted woodpecker".)

A common GMAT trap is to use money in SC - you need to be careful when considering whether the object proposed is countable or not. 'Money' is'nt usually used as a countable noun - it's not correct to say "one money", "two moneys (or monies)" etc - similarly we would use "less money," not "fewer money."

That said, we would use 'fewer' when counting (one dollar, two dollars) so a correct comparative term is "fewer dollars". eg: "I have less money than you", "I have fewer dollars than you"

Countable nouns can also be used to represent quantitave measurements (as we find in this question) – consider sums of money, periods of time and distance. Here, we'd see that whilst minutes / dollars / miles etc are countable, the correct form would be "less than ten minutes left", "less than a hundred dollars" and "less than three miles" Remember, here we are referring to quantities, not countable units.

Answer 'A' correctly assigns the property "of less than three hundred thousand dollars" to "total sales", and recognises new subscribers as countable, using "fewer". :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
$300k is a number. Therefore, we want 'less than.' We can count 'subscribers', so we want to use 'fewer.' Only answer (A) matches this. Hopefully that makes sense, but if you have any more questions regarding 'fewer' vs. 'less than', I'll happily elaborate :).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
nightwing79 wrote:
With total sales of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer new subscribers than last year, the New England Theatre Company is in danger of losing its building.

A. of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer

B. lower than three hundred thousand dollars and less

C. lesser than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer

D. fewer than three hundred thousand dollars and less

E. of fewer than three hundred thousand dollars and of fewer

Explanation:

Appropriate quantity words must be used. Less – is used for uncountable nouns and ‘few’ is used for countable nouns. This concept is correctly followed in the original sentence, as shown below.

A-CORRECT.

B-…less – used for uncountable nouns; subscribers – countable.

C-The sales are not lesser than …dollars; but the sales figure is less that a certain number of dollars.

D-Same as B.

E-...the three hundred thousand dollars – is coming in as a total sum here; to use the word ‘less’ is correct as it shows a quantum. Sales – is a total figure or value.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Stanford '20
Send PM
The answer is “A”.

“Fewer” is used to refer to number among things that are counted, as in "fewer choices" and "fewer problems.” “Less” is used to refer to quantity or amount among things that are measured, as in "less time" and "less effort."

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
With total sales of less than three hundred thousand dollars and fewer [#permalink]
I see a lot of people are struggling with "less" vs "lesser". Glad I play video games in which I fight a great varierty of monsters, either weak or strong.

When I face "lesser doomguard", this means that the doomguard (a type of monster) is of a weaker, inferior sub-species of doomguard. It does not mean that I am fighting with half of a monster or fewer monsters. Lesser is only a subjective of quality, having nothing to do with quantity.

However, the opposite word "greater" is where it gets tricky, because greater can describe both quality and quantity. Yes I fight against single "greater doomguard", "greater skeleton", and "greater flaming mage", and sometimes confront a greater number of monsters.

See the trick here? I am sure GMAT will test this again.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts