Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [35]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [13]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher discovered that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vyshak, C is wrong because the teacher didn't discover the involvement itself. He or she discovered that there wasn't very much involvement!

Having said that, B is a very clunky sentence, and I don't think it would fly on the GMAT! Like many of the non-official Q's making the rounds here, this one is not worth much of our time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher discovered that [#permalink]
Since this is a 700 level question I guess I over thought the question. But I need an explanation to prove myself correct.

"within first few weeks" is one action and "discovered" is another action. Shouldn't past perfect be used here? In other words, why E isn't right?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
manhasnoname wrote:
Since this is a 700 level question I guess I over thought the question. But I need an explanation to prove myself correct.

"within first few weeks" is one action and "discovered" is another action. Shouldn't past perfect be used here? In other words, why E isn't right?

"Within first few weeks" is not a point of time - past perfect would be appropriate, if the sentence were something as follows:
By the end of the month, the new teacher had discovered.....

Moreover the verb "was" is wrong - it should be plural: there WERE limited parental involvement AND an abundance of administrative hassle.

Therefore E is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I think the OA is wrong the correct answer is option A.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
nk9285 wrote:
I think the OA is wrong the correct answer is option A.

No, it is alright: A is wrong because a plural verb is required - there were two things:
1. limited parental involvement
AND
2. an abundance of administrative hassle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:

"Within first few weeks" is not a point of time - past perfect would be appropriate, if the sentence were something as follows:

Moreover the verb "was" is wrong - it should be plural: there WERE limited parental involvement AND an abundance of administrative hassle.

Therefore E is wrong.

Sir why cant the answer be C.
I agree that B is correct but not convinced why C is wrong
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
suramya26 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:

Therefore E is wrong.

Sir why cant the answer be C.
I agree that B is correct but not convinced why C is wrong

Difficult to eliminate C - the best I can reason is (though not very convincing):

In C it is not clear where the teacher discovered those two things. In B however the idea is better conveyed since option B states "there", which refers to "school".

As I already mentioned, this is not a very solid reasoning, and in my opinion this question does not seem to be very GMAT-like.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts