Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Kolkata
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 19:13
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

29% (01:31) correct 71% (00:46) wrong based on 28 sessions
Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher discovered that there was limited parental involvement and an abundance of administrative hassle.

a) the new teacher discovered that there was limited parental involvement
b) the new teacher discovered that there were limited parental involvement
c) the new teacher discovered limited parental involvement
d) the new teacher would discover that there was limited parental involvement
e) the new teacher had discovered that there was limited parental involvement
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 807
Location: London
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 22:37
I am not convinced of (B), why do you think (A) is wrong ?

Consider a simpler sentence to demonstrate :

There is/are a boy and a girl in the playground.
The use of "is" does not seem incorrect in this context.

Here is another resource from the web where this point is argued out :
http://www.englishforums.com/English/ThereIsAre/cchzm/post.htm

In summary I think there is nothing wrong with the original sentence, Hence A
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2010
Posts: 122
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 00:21
shrouded1 wrote:
I am not convinced of (B), why do you think (A) is wrong ?

Consider a simpler sentence to demonstrate :

There is/are a boy and a girl in the playground.
The use of "is" does not seem incorrect in this context.

Here is another resource from the web where this point is argued out :
http://www.englishforums.com/English/ThereIsAre/cchzm/post.htm

In summary I think there is nothing wrong with the original sentence, Hence A


"A car and a truck are traveling at over 60mph."
"A boy and a girl are in the playground."
"There are a boy and a girl in the playground."

I know it seems weird, but the MGMAT book stressed this, and said to watch out for it on the GMAT.
_________________

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Apply - Last Chance
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 693
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 15

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 00:32
What ia the OA?

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 00:53
A seems correct.

Ths use of "Were" in B is incorrect.
"There was limited parental involvement" means "Parental involvement was limited"
So the verb will modify 'involvement" . So "Was" is the appropriate usage here.
_________________

+1 kudos me if this is of any help...

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2010
Posts: 122
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 01:18
iPinnacle wrote:
A seems correct.

Ths use of "Were" in B is incorrect.
"There was limited parental involvement" means "Parental involvement was limited"
So the verb will modify 'involvement" . So "Was" is the appropriate usage here.


But she discovered limited parental involvement AND an abundance of administrative hassle.
_________________

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 187
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 5

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 03:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with B definitely.
Reason:
Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher discovered that there was limited parental involvement and an abundance of administrative hassle.

Here the Sentence can be broken as follows:
Subject: the new teacher
Verb: Discovered
Object Clause: there was limited parental involvement and an abundance of administrative hassle.

As seen clearly the Object clause has changed the Ordering of Subject. So in the Object clause:
Subject: limited parental involvement and an abundance of administrative hassle.
Verb: was
Clause: There.

Flipping the Subject and Object in the Object clause:
Limited parental involvement AND an abundance of administrative hassle WERE there.

So the correct answer is B.

Hopefully I have not confused more than I have explained.
_________________

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 807
Location: London
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 03:42
NewSc2 wrote:
shrouded1 wrote:
I am not convinced of (B), why do you think (A) is wrong ?

Consider a simpler sentence to demonstrate :

There is/are a boy and a girl in the playground.
The use of "is" does not seem incorrect in this context.

Here is another resource from the web where this point is argued out :
http://www.englishforums.com/English/ThereIsAre/cchzm/post.htm

In summary I think there is nothing wrong with the original sentence, Hence A


"A car and a truck are traveling at over 60mph."
"A boy and a girl are in the playground."
"There are a boy and a girl in the playground."

I know it seems weird, but the MGMAT book stressed this, and said to watch out for it on the GMAT.


The more I read, the more confused I get ... can you point me to the relevant section. Also consider the following sentences :

There's a deer and a hog next to the pond
There was John, Mark, and Tom at yesterday's gathering

So both these sentences are incorrect as well ?
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 187
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 04:50
Hey shrouded1,

In the MGMAT book turn the page to Subject-Verb Agreement Sub Section - 'Flip It'.

The two sentences:
There's a deer and a hog next to the pond
There was John, Mark, and Tom at yesterday's gathering

According to my logic they are wrong. However they do sound right to the ear.

Any Experts please ?
_________________

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 807
Location: London
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 05:19
Found it !

I think its time for me to shut down and relax now .... GMAT tomorrow, dont want to know any more rules or exceptions !!
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 373
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 2

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 09:11
I will go with B
option A is incorrect. using "and " in the sentence is a clue to know that subject is in plural. so the verb should be in plural-"and"
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 09:13
whats wrong with c?
i dont like "there" in B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2010
Posts: 122
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 15:59
shrouded1 wrote:
NewSc2 wrote:
shrouded1 wrote:
I am not convinced of (B), why do you think (A) is wrong ?

Consider a simpler sentence to demonstrate :

There is/are a boy and a girl in the playground.
The use of "is" does not seem incorrect in this context.

Here is another resource from the web where this point is argued out :
http://www.englishforums.com/English/ThereIsAre/cchzm/post.htm

In summary I think there is nothing wrong with the original sentence, Hence A


"A car and a truck are traveling at over 60mph."
"A boy and a girl are in the playground."
"There are a boy and a girl in the playground."

I know it seems weird, but the MGMAT book stressed this, and said to watch out for it on the GMAT.


The more I read, the more confused I get ... can you point me to the relevant section. Also consider the following sentences :

There's a deer and a hog next to the pond
There was John, Mark, and Tom at yesterday's gathering

So both these sentences are incorrect as well ?


Yes, they are both incorrect. MGMAT (somewhere in the first few chapters, I think in the Subject-Verb Agreement chapter) specifically cites examples [strike]like[/strike] such as these. They also did mention something about British English being more lenient or logical towards singular/plural subjects, but I think it was in reference to singular groups of things.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you found the rule. Good luck again!
_________________

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Kolkata
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 19:51
shrouded1...all the best....crack it...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 443
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 08:02
Guys ..next time I make an error like this ..I deserve a kick ...and I shd be barred from writing the exam
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: Subject verb SC [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 12:41
The new teacher discovered that there were X and Y.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 13:13
Hi

I understand the solution B is right but my question is if in E , it has were instead of was would it be correct?

e) the new teacher had discovered that there was (were) limited parental involvement

Please let me know and why am I wrong if I am

I am always confused with the tenses.

Thanks
Re: Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2012, 13:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic The principal at Ames Middle School hired a new math teacher Gian 7 30 Jun 2013, 04:33
Experts publish their posts in the topic According to the new school district policy, only teachers voodoochild 7 07 Sep 2012, 19:29
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Some experts believe that within the next few decades suyashjhawar 30 25 Sep 2010, 11:17
Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher suyashjhawar 6 09 Sep 2010, 19:12
Within the first few weeks of school, John discovered that onedayill 3 18 Jul 2010, 10:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.