Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Women Applying for Business School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Women Applying for Business School [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 10:25
Have you checked out the Forte Foundation? They have great resources and information for female b-school applicants.
www.fortefoundation.org

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '14 (WL)
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 24

Re: Women Applying for Business School [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 10:47
I'm a female applying to business school this time around, but I have a different take on it. My undergraduate degree is in Management Information Systems, which is a majority male degree, so I'm very used to my classes being majority male. My workplace is majority male as well, though my particular group in it is fairly evenly mixed. I very rarely find majority male groups intimidating.

There's a more heartening way to look at the gender/skill disparity: in an MBA program you will likely be split up into sections and then into small working groups. You'll probably have at least one guy or girl in your group that is stellar at math. So even if you feel a little insecure about your math skills (or you legitimately are not as good at math), you can utilize their skills to double check your work. Learn all you can from them. It's also likely you'll be stronger in a different area (for me, it's communication skills), that you can "trade", so to speak, to add value to the group. Trust me, that math-heavy person that might not be so great at communicating the conclusions he or she comes to will love you helping the group turn it into a great presentation or paper. Quantitative skills are not the only useful skills by a long shot.
Re: Women Applying for Business School   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2011, 10:47