Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Women are expected to be the majority of students entering

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 02:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:11) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing more women in leadership positions in politics and business.
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing
E It is expected for women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

Please, provide explanations.

OA a few posts below

Source – GMATPrep by Pearson VUE

Last edited by Pauline on 07 Aug 2005, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 08:48
D is my choice.

A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing
-out, the subject of the sentence need to be the majority of students students, not women...
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place
- OUT Run on sentence. 2 IC's joined by comma.
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place
- OUT means very different. Seems to indicate that women will place women in majority.
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing
- good. a trend described by the majority of women students
E It is expected for women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place
- OUT non-restrictive clause modifying fall..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 09:16
I like B here. 'a trend' is an absolute phrase construction connecting the introductory IC. In D, I dont like 'trend placing', dont think the trend by itself can place anything?.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 16:23
riteshgupta1 wrote:
- OUT Run on sentence. 2 IC's joined by comma.

Hmmmmm...... yes, B seems run-on. if so, then it should obviously be D.
But IMO, D changes the meaning. still prefer B.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 00:47
I can refute C and E.

But I cannot refute A and D. :( Should they "go out" because of "a trend placing"? I'm not convinced. Any rule?

OA is B.
  [#permalink] 07 Aug 2005, 00:47