Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Women are expected to be the majority of students entering

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 09:15
(B)

A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing --> Women are not expected to be the majority of students
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing
E It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

Raptor

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 12:22
vraptor wrote:
(B)

A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing --> Women are not expected to be the majority of students
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing
E It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

Why do you put "It" in red in D and E? Because they dont have antecedent? They are It Placeholders: they stand without antecedent.

Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 331 [0], given: 109

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 15:54
+1 B

If you want to refer to each individual in that majority, you have to use ARE.

If you want to refer to that majority as a whole, use IS.
For example: The majority of the congress is conformed by Republicans.

I think that "it" in D and E is not wrong. I eliminated D because I think that the meaning in B is better. "Ultimately" refers to something in the future.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 8

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 20:00
tkarthi4u wrote:
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing . I go with A.
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place. A little wordy
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place. Which modifies women
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing. ( expect to is the correct idiom)
E It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place. Which modifies fall

OA should be B.. to my knowledge "a trend....." is a summative modifier, and should be followed by "that"
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 06:20
This question appeared on the GMAT prep. The OA is B

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/wom ... t1862.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 06:25
Why D is wrong?

I already ask this question in the manhantant forum and beatthegmat forum, and get no full explanation.

in D, "trend placing" is correct because "trend placing" mean

"trend that will place"
"trend that place"
"trend that is placing"
any tense.

that is why "placing" is called non definite. This means no time.

any one know why D is wrong, pls, speak. thank you.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 07:05
+1 for B.

The intent of the sentence is to say that if the the trend (Women majority) continues, in future we will see more women up top... Intent has to be future.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 166

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 22:59
bibha wrote:
oopsss i got it. It can be plural :-)
According to manh SC guide, if one mean the many individual parts of the totality then use a plural verb....for example :" the majority of the students ARE..."

If one means the totality itself then use singular verb . eg " the student majority IS....

Nice explanation ! thanks :)

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 11:00
noboru wrote:
Actually I think that in B, the sentence is referring to the totality (The majority), more than to the many individual parts of that majority (students), so I'm still confused and I indeed support The majority of students IS.
Could anybody clarify?

"Majority" is plural as in this question but in some cases it can be singular. I am sure the majority IS with me.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 23:17
hey noboru,

i'll help u on this.
i had read in manhattan SC guide:

The words majority, minority, and plurality are either singular or plural, depending on their
context. If you want to indicate the many individual parts of the totality, use a plural verb.
If you want to indicate the totality itself then use a singular verb form.

The majority of the students in this class ARE hard workers.(plural)
In the Senate, the majorjty HAS coalesced into a unified voting block.(singular)

hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 12

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 17:07
Options with which are out because which has to refer to noun before it. Out of the remaining option, if you think about it a trend is something that occurs in future. Hence B is the most appropriate answer.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 305

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 07:05
noboru wrote:
Actually I think that in B, the sentence is referring to the totality (The majority), more than to the many individual parts of that majority (students), so I'm still confused and I indeed support The majority of students IS.
Could anybody clarify?

IMO 'The majority of' is used as plural in this case. It is like saying 51% of students are...
Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 12:15
B for me.

A is clearly out "Woman are expected" --> sing noun plural verb
D and E are too wordy for me.
Between B and C: C is eliminated due to Which modifying woman.

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 19:44
noboru wrote:
In B, the subject is "The majority of students", which is singular. So how can it be "The majority of students are??
Thanks,

"of students" is not part of the subject. The majority is the subject and requires a plural verb because there will be men in law school too---not just women.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 21:14
"The Majority of Students" is similar to " The number of Students" , in this case, we take the subject from the pre-position "of Students", hence plural verb - an exceptinal case according to MGMAT SC. Unlike "A number of Students" or which should be singular verb.

For me B
Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 22:32
ugimba wrote:
Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing more women in leadership position in politics and business.
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing

please explain your reasoning ...

here is my reasoning. I will go with B.
A: Women are -->plural refer to majority of students which is not correct. Also in second clause has a missing verb. placing is not a verb.
B. majority is referred to women which agrees with SV quantity. 2nd phrase has a subject that has a verb place.
C. which refers to woman but its the trend not more women entering law school--a trend that will place women in leadership positions.
D. it is expected that --> wordy and nonsense
E. what is expected from women?

so for me logical answer is B. Whats the OA?

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 629

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 21:42
According to another forum the source of this question is GMAT Prep and the OA is B.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/women-are-expected-to-be-the-majority-t1862.html

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 305

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 06:02
noboru wrote:
Could anybody clarify?

I'm also certain the answer is B. The majority in this case can take a plural verb. We need THAT before placing in the second part of the sencence. So between A,B, and D, B is the only one that makes sense.

Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 33

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 09:35
Wow, this is not the very first time that I see GMAT Prep use New York Times sentences. It seems that GMAC really love this source...

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/26/business/women-are-close-to-being-majority-of-law-students.html
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 56

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 10:41
The error is w.r.t tense.
Women are expected to be the majority, (a future course of action), this trend "will place" women in top positions...

so
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing
is wrong
and
remains

w.r.t number agreement...
consider the following sentence.
The majority of students entering law school this fall are women. (using is instead will be wrong)
Or to put it simply, the majority are women.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2013, 10:41