Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Women are expected to be the majority of students entering

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 99

Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 18:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

74% (01:52) correct 26% (01:01) wrong based on 226 sessions
Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing more women in leadership position in politics and business.
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing
E It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

please explain your reasoning ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 19:12
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing . I go with A.
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place. A little wordy
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place. Which modifies women
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing. ( expect to is the correct idiom)
E It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place. Which modifies fall
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 21:13
The doubt is between A&B....

The subject in " A" is women and subject in B is "majority of students" ...m i right. ..??
will go with A ...but unable to find resons to eliminate B....
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 106

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 22:55
ugimba wrote:
Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing more women in leadership position in politics and business.
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing
E It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

3-2 split. A, B, D correctly using 'trend' to describe the previous clause.
In D expected to be is preferred over expected that.

between A and B
I think the event of placing more women in leadership will happen in future. So, B is correct in the tense.

IMO B.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 23:29
I go with B.

'trend' associates better with this phrase: 'The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women' instead of the phrase given in option A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 23:46
sudeep wrote:
ugimba wrote:

3-2 split. A, B, D correctly using 'trend' to describe the previous clause.
In D expected to be is preferred over expected that.

between A and B
I think the event of placing more women in leadership will happen in future. So, B is correct in the tense.

IMO B.

I will go with A, because it is an established trend and that's' why the sentence used "expected". Therefore, it shouldn't be future tense.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 4

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 02:36
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:

3/2 Rule: "placing" V.S "place" , "place" is right --> rule out A & D
"Which" after the comma refers to women --> wrong --> rule out C & E
The choice left is B
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 41

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 04:43
This post received
KUDOS

A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately [strike]placing[/strike]
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, [strike]which[/strike] will ultimately place
D It is [strike]expected that[/strike][strike][/strike] the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend [strike]ultimately placing[/strike]
E It is [strike]expected for[/strike] the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, [strike]which[/strike] will ultimately place

B looks the best. It also uses that as a restrictive clause.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 99

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 05:28
hocnhan wrote:
ugimba wrote:

The choice left is B

can you elaborate more on your elimination process between "placing" V.S "place" ?

I thought "placing" also can fit here ( it will be a absolute phrase -- just eliminate BE verb, and that absolute can be modifier).. I think absolute phrase is also correct (grammatically) here ...

appreciate if you can explain a bit more on this ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 06:30
placing - present continuous tense.
Women are expected.....we have to use future tense to carry the theme.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 11:45
One more B.

"A trend that will ultimately place" is correct usage. Trend will cause something to happen in future. Simple future tense is better than continuous placing.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 11:48
hocnhan,

What is 3/2 Rule that You have mentioned in your post ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 17:50
http://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-rule-70838.html

learner wrote:
hocnhan,

What is 3/2 Rule that You have mentioned in your post ?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 4

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:
hocnhan wrote:
ugimba wrote:

The choice left is B

can you elaborate more on your elimination process between "placing" V.S "place" ?

I thought "placing" also can fit here ( it will be a absolute phrase -- just eliminate BE verb, and that absolute can be modifier).. I think absolute phrase is also correct (grammatically) here ...

appreciate if you can explain a bit more on this ..

Hi,
You are right that "placing" is correct in grammar but it distorts the meaning. The trend is not yet established, so you can't use "placing" here. In other words, the trend is the result of "women are expected...", and the first phase uses present tense --> the result should be in future tense ^ ^
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 99

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 06:15
hey thanks for the explanation ..I got it now. hope I won't face this kind of question(s) (2 choices are grammatically correct and have to depend on the situation to pick the correct one between the 2).

+1 kudos for ya .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 03:37
B for me

C D E are clearly out.
There are two reasons why I eliminate A
First, expect ..., a trend - should be in a future tense.
a trend placing = a trend that places = present tense

Second - I am more comfortable with The majority ... than Women ...
Women ..., a trend - a trend modify women??
The majority ..., a trend - a trend correctly refers to the majority, which can be a trend.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 12:59
In B, the subject is "The majority of students", which is singular. So how can it be "The majority of students are??
Thanks,

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 22:40
Ahhhh...finally,i find someone who thinks as i do. Yeah, how can "the majority" take plural verb????
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
oopsss i got it. It can be plural :-)
According to manh SC guide, if one mean the many individual parts of the totality then use a plural verb....for example :" the majority of the students ARE..."

If one means the totality itself then use singular verb . eg " the student majority IS....
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: the majority of students [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 08:20
Actually I think that in B, the sentence is referring to the totality (The majority), more than to the many individual parts of that majority (students), so I'm still confused and I indeed support The majority of students IS.
Could anybody clarify?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: SC: the majority of students   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2010, 08:20