Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Women in Bschool - why are the #s so low?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Women in Bschool - why are the #s so low? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2005, 12:24
This is a much broader topic of "why" the percentage of women average around 30% at US business schools. However, I am wondering, as a woman applying to business school, what does this low percentage reflect to hopeful women MBA's?

Are top programs trying to bring business schools more in line with the men/women makeup of businesses getting closer to 50%? Does this hurt the chances of women applying because the percentages of the present bschool population are so low?

Maybe this might seem like a silly question, but I have been wondering about it as I overanalyze my application process :-D . I apologize if this is the incorrect forum to place this post in, but I would appreciate any insights form anyone on the board.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Women in B-School [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2005, 20:24
Those numbers have to help your chances. As a White Man applying right now, I want to go to school with a wholly diverse group... it will allow more points of view to come into play, and will allow us to consider tough concepts from different angles.

I think regardless of the business community, an MBA is an education and the more different people there the better! After Visiting Sloan, HBS and Tuck its clear these schools are committed to diversity.

I'm guessing that fewer females apply and that is why the numbers are lower, but I'm also guessing this will play out in your favor... and ultimately in my favor too as my learning experience will be more valuable given equal representation.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Women in Bschool - why are the #s so low? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 18:45
Expert's post
buckkitty wrote:
This is a much broader topic of "why" the percentage of women average around 30% at US business schools. However, I am wondering, as a woman applying to business school, what does this low percentage reflect to hopeful women MBA's?

Are top programs trying to bring business schools more in line with the men/women makeup of businesses getting closer to 50%? Does this hurt the chances of women applying because the percentages of the present bschool population are so low?

Maybe this might seem like a silly question, but I have been wondering about it as I overanalyze my application process :-D . I apologize if this is the incorrect forum to place this post in, but I would appreciate any insights form anyone on the board.

Thank you!

The reasons that women are so below parity in business schools are complex. My personal take on one aspect of the situation is at "Women MBAs, Entrepreneurship, and Kids." The Catalyst study mentioned in that post deals with the reasons women form a smaller percentage of most MBA classes than men. You may also want to look at the Forte web site or the recent Forte chats at Accepted.com

To answer your question, business schools desperately want to increase the percentage of women in their classes. Your gender can only help you in the admissions process.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog