Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Women in Tech

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 32

Women in Tech [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 22:41
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/14/women- ... mplaining/

Surprising how big the disparity is sometimes. My current office is way better than previous one with almost half the top managers being women.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: Women in Tech [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 07:35
sanlitun wrote:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/14/women-in-tech-look-around-the-world-and-stop-complaining/

Surprising how big the disparity is sometimes. My current office is way better than previous one with almost half the top managers being women.

How is that better? :lol:

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Women in Tech [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 07:42
the link is not there? But i think as years go by the gender gap will close up pretty quick

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: Women in Tech [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 09:20
According to recent surveys, the gap is becoming awfully close. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 10

Re: Women in Tech [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 19:09
I think the link changed now that it's not on the front page. Try:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/14/how-di ... ai-fu-lee/

Interesting that the article pointed to how Asian countries lag behind their global counterparts in women in leadership, when that's not been my experience at all. My Midwest U.S. Big 4 office had a 1:8 ratio of women to men at the Partner/Principal/Executive Director level, while my Taiwan Big 4 office has more women in those roles than men. Our office managing partner and tax managing partner are both female. It's been really inspirational for me to observe women who are succeeding in those roles!

In Taiwan, there's a trend for women to pursue higher education at much greater rates than men, who often return home to run a small family business or similar after finishing their mandatory military service. It's had huge societal repercussions in the form of delaying the age at first marriage, delaying the average age of a mother at the birth of her first child, and reducing family size as women value working over motherhood. Taiwan will be following closely in Japan's footsteps towards a population crisis, and has largely avoided one thus far by relaxing visa rules to encourage women from around SE Asia (largely Phillippines, Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia) to immigrate here. Those immigrants tend to embrace larger families and be more willing to work with their Taiwanese husbands on a small store or restaurant as a family than strike out in their own careers.

Thanks for posting the article- it's always great to hear perspectives out there that I'm not witnessing directly!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain

Re: Women in Tech   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2010, 19:09