Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Women make up a larger proportion of workers in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Women make up a larger proportion of workers in the [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 12:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Women make up a larger proportion of workers in the information services industry than they did ten years ago. This is partly shown by the fact that in 1985, only 7% of women in the workforce were employed in the information services industry, but in 1995 over 16% of women in the workforce were employed in the information services industry.

In evaluating the argument above, it would be most useful to compare 1985 and 1995 with regard to which or the following characteristics?

(A) The percentage of women in the workforce who were not employed in the information services industry
(B) The percentage of women who are now retired who have worked in the information services industry
(C) The percentage of women who have been promoted to managerial positions within the information services industry
(D) The percentage of men in the workforce who were employed in the information services industry
(E) The percentage of men who will soon be eligible for employment in the information services industry
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 12:43
I think D

We need to check if #womenIT/#(womenIT+menIT) has increased.
The 7% and 16% represent #womenIT/#womenALL
If we have #menIT/menALL, together with the given figures, it will be useful in evaluating the arrument
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 12:45
I will choose B.

D and E is out of scope.
A is also not within the logic.

Between B and C I will pick B.

hey ya......

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 12:50
i go for B...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Information Services Industry [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 21:10
It is D.

women make up a larger proportion of workers (including both men and women). We need to know the percentage of men in the workforce in order to make a sound comparison.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 21:23
it is between B and D in my opinion

I would go for B

the problem with D is that it is impossible to know if the women represent a larger share or not. You don't know know how many men are working in this sector. Maybe only 1% of the men are working in this sector but maybe there was 5 times more men than women...we have now idea...the share can be totally different.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Information Services Industry [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 22:22
I would choose B.
D and E are clearly out of scope, for the following reason.
1) We are only concerned with the % increase for women, so clearly men are out of scope.
C - managerial position is a subset within the information services industry, they would already be counted.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 23:44
go D go...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 03:05
I vote for (D).

Even though we can't know if the women represent a larger share or not, it would be useful to do (D).

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 08:47
Antoine> remember you questioned a problem similiar to this justa couple of weeks ago. The answer should be D. I`ll try to find another one like it in the archives.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Information Services Industry [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 11:46
kimmyg wrote:
Women make up a larger proportion of workers in the information services industry than they did ten years ago. This is partly shown by the fact that in 1985, only 7% of women in the workforce were employed in the information services industry, but in 1995 over 16% of women in the workforce were employed in the information services industry.

In evaluating the argument above, it would be most useful to compare 1985 and 1995 with regard to which or the following characteristics?

(A) The percentage of women in the workforce who were not employed in the information services industry
(B) The percentage of women who are now retired who have worked in the information services industry
(C) The percentage of women who have been promoted to managerial positions within the information services industry
(D) The percentage of men in the workforce who were employed in the information services industry
(E) The percentage of men who will soon be eligible for employment in the information services industry

Conclusion: w/(w+m) is greater in 1995 than 1985.
Fact: w/W is greater in 1995 than 1985.

It could be that m/M is even more greater in 1995 than 1985. In other words, yes more women now work in this industry. (Say doubled.) But what if the industry has expanded (to say three times as before) and therefore there are even more men who work in this industry (definitely more than doubled to make the total size tripled)? This would mean women to men ration actually decreased. So you really need to look at what happened to men.

D

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 12:32
Thanks HongHu and others for your explanations.

OA is D

I saw the other question on the forum so I'll know which answer to look for if a similar question pops up on G-day
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 13:06
But at the end we are only talking in terms of %ages...& not base values for any to compare. How do we assume they hv increased.

...................................................................................................
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 13:55
Yes, it is D because if the percentage of men rose, then there is no a larger proportion of women in the information services industry, nut rather a smaller proportion.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 18:37
GMATT73 wrote:
Antoine> remember you questioned a problem similiar to this justa couple of weeks ago. The answer should be D. I`ll try to find another one like it in the archives.

Yep, I remember it but it still sounds strange to me. This CR is like the copy of the one you're talking about....anyway, seems I should study more :oops:

for other members : http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... highlight=
  [#permalink] 19 Oct 2005, 18:37