Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wondering how can my score be 580!!! Q48 V21

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Wondering how can my score be 580!!! Q48 V21 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 19:13
Hi All.. I am an Indian IT guy.. Have been around for sometime in GMATCLUB.. Took my GMAT yesterday, stunned to see my verbal scores.. Actually my best and worst scores were v33 & v24, well i was hoping atleast above v30..

I had no issues with quants, always i scored above q47, inspite of few silly mistakes & few guesses.. Whereas verbal is totally different, atleast i cannnot make sense why few wrong answers in verbal fluctuate scaled scores to great extend,.. I used Manhattan Sc, OG 11 , 12.. Infact i was feeling that i was doing the verbal part better in my exam..I got easy RCs.. Still i wonder how i landed at v21..

I have always (from my practise tests & real test) wondered high scores of verbal, in which there seems to be something more than just rules for SC, strategies for RC, CR..

I quit my job for GMAt preperation last month.. Well with this score i am thinking whether to hit back again in a month or to find another job (which by far the easiest thing that i could do..) and take some more time to hit again.. I desperately wanted to do my MBA fall 2012.. but i think that would be tough to realise...

Regards
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: Wondering how can my score be 580!!! Q48 V21 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 20:58
hi nutty

if I were in your shoes, i would take up a job and take a reattempt at GMAT. (know that you will have to explain gaps in job in your B school application). since you have already covered the basics of GMAT prep once, it will be easier to do it again with job. also belonging to an overrepresented applicant pool (Indian IT guy), you need to have a good GMAT score to feel safe while applying to B schools. So do not rush into a reattempt, but take your time to analyze and build on your weak areas. Also more than 3 attempts at GMAT may raise red flags with the adcom.

good luck!!

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Intern
Intern

Re: Wondering how can my score be 580!!! Q48 V21 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 06:22
Thanks for ur reply..

What 2 months is a gap :wink: come on.. If we are applying for 2012 intake, i dont think this few months gap is an issue, which i can substantiate, as i have personal reasons as well...

One thing is for sure that verbal is a bit challenging in recent GMAT.. I went through the entire MGMAT SC, prepared my own guide, which came out like whiplash bang bang SC.. I must accept that i never crossed v35 even in my GMATprep.. But i never went through 150 gmatprep SC's which i think is a drawback..

Please advise me on the verbal part, especially SC.. I am thinking of taking PR classes in chennai. Any suggestions , most appreciated ..

Regards..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: Wondering how can my score be 580!!! Q48 V21 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 06:33
PR verbal is known to be good, but I do not have a first hand experience to tell. SC comes with practice and goes away with lack of practice. buy GMAT verbal handbook if you can, it helped me in my 2nd reattempt.

2 months = gap as mentioned by Tuck, Wharton etc. You can check the FAQ/admissions section of the schools you are targeting to be sure of what is defined as a gap (eg., Stanford considers 4 months + to be a gap).

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Intern
Intern

Re: Wondering how can my score be 580!!! Q48 V21 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 06:50
Thanks a lot for a quick reply.. Well i will try harder to beat the beast.. I want to get a good score , so that i can join a job & come back to MBA anytime.. i want to keep going with the flow.. Especially with my quant prep, which has come out well..

I am hoping to remain hopeful.. Let me see what i have in stores..
Re: Wondering how can my score be 580!!! Q48 V21   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2011, 06:50