Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 17:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

83% (01:40) correct 17% (00:58) wrong based on 14 sessions
Can someone show me how to solve the following question?

The inside dimensions of a rectangular wooden box are 6 inches by 8 inches by 10 inches. A cylindrical canister is to be placed inside the box so that it stands upright when the closed box rests on one of its six faces. Of all such canisters that could be used, what is the radius, in inches, of the one that has the maximum volume?
A)3
B)4
c)5
D)6
E)8

Correct Ans is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 19:02
hb05sv wrote:

The inside dimensions of a rectangular wooden box are 6 inches by 8 inches by 10 inches. A cylindrical canister is to be placed inside the box so that it stands upright when the closed box rests on one of its six faces. Of all such canisters that could be used, what is the radius, in inches, of the one that has the maximum volume?
A)3
B)4
c)5
D)6
E)8

Correct Ans is B.

let the face on which the cylinder is placed is 6 by 8. In this case the volume will be pi* 3^2*10 = 90pi (here r =3inches)

If the cylinder is placed on the face having dimensions 8 by 10 then volume in that case will be pi* 4^2* 6 = 96pi (here r = 4inches)

If the cylinder is placed on the face having dimensions 6 by 10 then volume in that case will be pi* 3^2* 8 = 72pi (here r = 3inches)

so for r = 4inches the cylinder will have maximum area.
so B - 4
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 19:26
kp1811 wrote:
let the face on which the cylinder is placed is 6 by 8. In this case the volume will be pi* 3^2*10 = 90pi (here r =3inches)

If the cylinder is placed on the face having dimensions 8 by 10 then volume in that case will be pi* 4^2* 6 = 96pi (here r = 4inches)

If the cylinder is placed on the face having dimensions 6 by 10 then volume in that case will be pi* 3^2* 8 = 72pi (here r = 3inches)

so B - 4

Nice explanation -

To be more specific, logically, for any face down of the cube, the smaller length only can be the diameter of the cylindrical canister. So either ways, it is 6 or 8. The height will be either the shortest or the longest dimension accordingly.

Volume of cylinder is Pi * r squared * h. The greater the value of r^2*h, the greater the volume.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 14:23
BarneyStinson, Can you explain why logically the diameter of the cylinder will be one of the shortest?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 16:04
hb05sv wrote:
BarneyStinson, Can you explain why logically the diameter of the cylinder will be one of the shortest?

Because if the diameter were wider say 8", it won't fit into a box that has one side 6", when the face down is 8" X 6".
You should definitely read my blog!!!

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
kp1811 wrote:
hb05sv wrote:

A)3
B)4
c)5
D)6
E)8

Correct Ans is B.

so B - 4

Sorry guyz but dont understand your ways

My approach is;

pi approx. = 3,14

The box volume is 480 so;

Cylinder max. volume should be pi*5^2*8 = 200pi means more then 600 so cant be, If the radius cant be 5 so it should be 4;

pi*4^2*10= slightly more then 480 so CANT BE

then the answer is;

pi*4^2*6 < 480 it means The radius should be "4".

B

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 38

Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 15:17
This post received
KUDOS
Since we want Max Volume for cylinder hence Max Vol can only max if the Radius is maximum

We can always have Cylinder with radius 3 in this Box but we need max radius if we take (6 and 8) or (6 and 10) or (10 and 8)

So let us pick 5 as radius so the diameter will be 10 but other two sides are 8 and 6 which cause a cylinder with 10 radius out of the box. Hence 5 is not the answer
Anything above 5 i.e 6 and 8 are gone
Now we come to our last option 4 if we take sides 10 and 8 as the base we can surely incorporate cylinder inside the box hence our answer is B i.e. 4.

Try to give it a thought because I have not used any calculation to solve this question.
And don't forget in Gmat Exam we need to conserve all our energies because after Quants exam the beast awaits......VERBAL!!!!!!

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 194

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 10:15
amneetpadda wrote:
And don't forget in Gmat Exam we need to conserve all our energies because after Quants exam the beast awaits......VERBAL!!!!!!

And remember to reserve some extra energy for AWA:)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 23:34
Calculate r^2 * h for all cases you gat the answer
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 04:08
6*8*10-hence:
side 6*8 r=3 h=10
side 6*10 r=3 h=8
side 8*10 r=4 h=6

pir^2 will be bigger at side 8*10
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 00:15
l = 10,w = 8 and h = 6
gives max volume.

r = 4.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:40
The above mentioned solutions are correct, but from my perspective the question could be misleading (at least for non-natives).
The question states "a cylindrical canister is to be placed inside the box so that it stands upright when the closed box rests on (ANY) one of its six faces".
Since the canister has a fixed volume and we cannot be sure on which face the wooden box will stand, we would have to assume that it could also stay on the smallest possible area, namely 6 by 8.
If so, the correct solution, 4, would be wrong, since the diameter would exceed the side length 6.
Sorry if I confused you guys, but I personally dislike such questions, since they inhabit the potential for incorrect choices only due to the unclear phrasing of the question.

My 2 cents.
Re: wooden box and a cylindrical canister inside with max radius   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2011, 08:40