Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Word Problems Made Easy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 2045 [0], given: 677

Re: Word Problems Made Easy [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 04:27
Expert's post
Great post.

However, I translate the 5 example and what is wrong with this:

garden : L1 L1 W1 W1

walkway: L2 L2 W2 W2

L1= 2*W2

L1 - W1 = 10

W1= 6

W2 = ?

2W2 - 6 = 10 >>>> W2 = 8

Same of the post above. May a Mod could say something about .......................

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 99

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Word Problems Made Easy [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 06:17
Expert's post
Great Post man..!

Thanks for putting time and effort for the forum.... +1 from me.. :)

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Word Problems Made Easy [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 23:51
I have a problem here.
it is said that: If the problem says ‘the difference of x and y’ it means ‘x – y’
is it true? isn't it means |x-y|, stated i other words, the distance between x and y?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22197 [0], given: 2601

Re: Word Problems Made Easy [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 23:08
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Word Problems Made Easy [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 19:53
catty2004 wrote:
vidhya16 wrote:
All,

The length of a rectangular garden surrounded by a walkway is twice its width. If difference between the length and width of just the rectangular garden is 10 meters, what will be the width of the walkway if just the garden has width 6 meters?

Note: My translation :"The length of a rectangular garden surrounded by a walkway is twice its width." =>

Let L,W be the length and width of the garden respectively. Let x be the width of the walkway. According to the above statement L = 2x.

" If difference between the length and width of just the rectangular garden is 10 meters"

L - W = 10

also W = 6. => L-6 = 10 => L = 16 => x=8. but the explanation above is still not clear for me.

Please can some one explain how the author translated the above statements in to equation as above?
Thanks,
Vids

I have the same question....could someone please explain this example?

I am unable to understand this problem too. Why do we assume uniform width for walkway?

Rgds
SBS
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Word Problems Made Easy [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 23:59
I tried to understand the derivation of the first author, but failed to do so. So, I just drew a figure. Once you understand that the width of the rectangular garden includes the walkway and that "just the garden" lies within this rectangular, the question becomes simple.
Re: Word Problems Made Easy   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2013, 23:59