Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Word Problems... whats the best approach for them ??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Word Problems... whats the best approach for them ?? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 14:15
Q. I am finding it extremely hard to cut down on the time i end up taking on Word Problems[Veritas Prep] or Word Translations[M.GMAT]...whats the best strategy for taking them ??// what should i be thinking ?..
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Word Problems... whats the best approach for them ?? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 22:13
SecondCrack wrote:
Q. I am finding it extremely hard to cut down on the time i end up taking on Word Problems[Veritas Prep] or Word Translations[M.GMAT]...whats the best strategy for taking them ??// what should i be thinking ?..

As soon as you read a word problem question start making equations.
Ex
Ram is 2yrs elder than shyam

How you should approach
Read Ram is
write Ram =

ram is 2yrs elder
write Ram = 2 +

Ram is 2yrs elder than shyam
write Ram = 2+ Shyam

there are some basic words whose meaning is posted in the below download in the word problem section.
gmat-quant-word-problems-probability-pnc-formula-sheet-149351.html

Try implementing this and this should help you for sure.
Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 10

Re: Word Problems... whats the best approach for them ?? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 11:29
Expert's post
A few speed suggestions for word problems:

1) Make sure your fundamentals are solid.

If you are going to turn a paragraph into equations and then solve those equations within 2 minutes, you can't afford to stumble on the algebra. You want to turn even a complicated sentence, such as "The increase in A’s rate is 40% less than the difference between B’s initial rate and twice A’s,” into a nice, workable equation:

An = Ai + .6(Bi -2Ai)

2) Recognize different problem types.

You want to determine what kind of problem you’re dealing with and get the appropriate setup going within the first 30 seconds. For instance, for a rate problem you need a Rate/Time/Work chart, while for an overlapping sets problem you need a Double-Set Matrix. If it takes you a long time to recognize the problem type and respond, your solution will go overtime.

3) Learn the variations.

For each problem type, what are the common variations? For instance, when do you add rates and when do you subtract? What kind of tricks or traps can you expect? Maybe you’re given data in hours and expected to convert to minutes, or maybe you’re given several percents, but they’re percents of different quantities. Put together a set of notes for each problem type, so you can track these sources of complication and be ready for them.

4) Repeat!

Don’t be too quick to do a million problems of each type. Instead, repeat a few good examples until they’re really smooth. You might redo one problem several times in a row until you feel you can execute each step easily. The idea is that even the toughest quant problem typically reduces to just a few steps. Figure out what those steps are and what made them difficult so that you know what to improve for next time. Once you’ve done a few problems this way, you can feel more confident when you see a new problem, because you'll be able to draw on your experience. “Oh, it’s one of these. It reminds me of the problem where I did this.”

5) Remember to let go.

The GMAT is not about perfection. Expect to get 10+ quant problems wrong, even if you’re shooting for a great score. Part of knowing your word problems well is knowing when to let go. The sooner you know that a problem is too hard to do in 2 minutes, the better. That way, you can save time for the problems that deserve your attention.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Word Problems... whats the best approach for them ??   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2013, 11:29