Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Word Translation Question "1 and 1/2 times"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Word Translation Question "1 and 1/2 times" [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 22:07
I'm a little confused about the word translation of a question in Quantitaive Review 2nd ed DS #71 Statement 1: "If Betty's average speed for the trip had been 1 1/2 times as fast, the trip would have taken 2 hours." According to the answer at the back of the book, "1 1/2 time" means that Betty's hypothetical speed is "(3/2)x". X=Betty's orginal speed.

1) The number of apples that Jon has is 1 1/2 times GREATER THAN or MORE THAN that of Mike. In this case, the translation is "1 1/2 + 1 = (5/2)M". M=the number of apples that Mike has.

2) Jenny has 1 1/2 times AS MANY oranges AS Lindsey has. Let L=number of oranges that Lindsey has. In this case, is the translation (3/2)L or (5/2)L ?

Thanks.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4322 [0], given: 161

Re: Word Translation Question "1 and 1/2 times" [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 22:00
Expert's post
Samwong wrote:
I'm a little confused about the word translation of a question in Quantitaive Review 2nd ed DS #71 Statement 1: "If Betty's average speed for the trip had been 1 1/2 times as fast, the trip would have taken 2 hours." According to the answer at the back of the book, "1 1/2 time" means that Betty's hypothetical speed is "(3/2)x". X=Betty's orginal speed.

1) The number of apples that Jon has is 1 1/2 times GREATER THAN or MORE THAN that of Mike. In this case, the translation is "1 1/2 + 1 = (5/2)M". M=the number of apples that Mike has.

2) Jenny has 1 1/2 times AS MANY oranges AS Lindsey has. Let L=number of oranges that Lindsey has. In this case, is the translation (3/2)L or (5/2)L ?

Thanks.

"times as many as" is simply the product. So '1.5 times as many oranges as' means (3/2)L.

"times more than" is a little ambiguous in the sense that many people would say "he has two times more oranges than her" if he has 2L oranges. Technically, that's not correct since two times more should mean 2L extra i.e. total 3L.

A 100% increase means 2x and 200% increase means 3x.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Word Translation Question "1 and 1/2 times"   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2013, 22:00