Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 04:52
Hi
I am doing BBA from india.this my second year.want to go US for mba
i want to know is work ex. compulsory for getting admission in good schools like stern,ross,chicago gsb etc.(thats wat i've selected)
well...all i want is a good career start..
n what about IIMs.are they any good compared to institutes i mentioned above.
does good GMAT score (like 750 or so) help in getting admission without work ex.??
Well...I am too much confused about wat should i do to make my dream come true..., of being at good position in less years....

Last edited by yat on 11 May 2008, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

Re: work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 05:01
hmm ... chances at the top 20 schools are probably slim. There are certainly plenty of schools which will be happy to take in academically bright folks with no experience. The top schools are unlikely to do so unless you can craft a compelling story as to why are ready.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 07:14
the top schools also want some clear, realistic career goals, so you may want to do some research in that area. i think getting into a top 20 with no work experience is probably very tough.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 16:45
yat wrote:
Hi
I am doing BBA from india.this my second year.want to go US for mba
i want to know is work ex. compulsory for getting admission in good schools like stern,ross,chicago gsb etc.(thats wat i've selected)
well...all i want is a good career start.like most of harvard MBAs start with CEO or MD etc.
n what about IIMs.are they any good compared to institutes i mentioned above.
does good GMAT score (like 730 or so) help in getting admission without work ex.??
Well...I am too much confused about wat should i do to make my dream come true..., of being at good position without putting in less years....

Most Harvard MBAs do NOT start at CEO or MD. Do you really believe thats the case?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 17:22
GMAT is just one metric B-schools use to evaluate potential applicants. There will be a great deal of people applying to the top B-schools with very impressive GMAT scores.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 09:36
For about 90% of candidates, work experience is critical to making business school worthwhile. There are a few who maybe warrant admission immediately, but they too lose some of the values.

From completing your undergrad and getting a job, you begin to know what you do and don't like about careers, jobs, environments. Not even the greatest undergrad straight into school will get that, and it is lost value. You can only do school once, and you are wasting a bit of the value you have on knowing what you want to avoid.

I am sure there has been another few threads on contribution to class, and how more experience normally brings more value to the discussion (this is shown further by Exec MBAs, where they do not even grade classes because the contribution is incredible and hugely important beyond quizzes).

If you want to stay in education straight from undergrad, I don't think an MBA is the right thing. There are plenty other more targeted, academic masters that fit the bill better. That's my feeling, anyway.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools?   [#permalink] 12 May 2008, 09:36