Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Work experience / career goal question [#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
amorica wrote:
Hello -

I'm in the middle of applying to business schools. My immediate goal is to enter into a brand manager type position (possibly within the CPG Industry)

My question is, my first initial job right out of college was a business development associate for an in-store display manufacturing company. We did a lot of business w/ ad agencies and consumer good companies. I was responsible for market research, generating sales leads, etc. I was there for only 9 months.

Unfortunately I was unsatisfied w/ the pay and the leadership opportunity. Knowing my goal of going into business school, I accepted a project manager position w/ a regional bank to enter a more dynamic work environment with a bigger challenge. I've been in this position for the past 2 1/2 years..

With my goal of going into brand management, Will it look 'finicky' to ad-coms that I left a marketing position to enter an IT project management role? And now I want to go back into marketing? Is it sufficient to justify my previous move w/ the fact that I wanted more leadership opportunity? Thanks.

Yes, you should explain this move and here's how you do it.

You left firm to go into IT Proj Mgmt due to a desire for increased leadership.
You want to go back to marketing however because of X and Y.

X and Y should be two things about marketing that fascinate you. Short and sweet, they need not be long. A sentence or two each. Demonstrate passion and desire. Make it sound like you are sitting in a room with Catherine Zeta Jones, a bucket of crisco, a two headed donkey and a condom. That kind of passion.

haha..nice. On a serious note... thanks for the insight.. I really do appreciate it.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Work experience / career goal question [#permalink]