Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU - Work History Question - how did you fill the box?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

NYU - Work History Question - how did you fill the box? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 04:55
I have a quick question regarding the NYU Stern work history form.

Given the proposed layout I'm concerned with these boxes:

Position/Title - I have a number of promotions and have changed career mid-way through my experience, the Stern Work History form seems to leave little room to 1) explain my responsibilities in each role (more so than the few achievements as listed in my CV) 2) provide more than a couple of words of text for each box (at least this is the impression I get when the template is in excel)

Reason for leaving - is promotion sufficient if I am remaining with the same employer, or are you guys just listing your most senior role at each job?

Other apps seem to give more room to outline what you have done and your responsibilities with each employer/associated with a promotion. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback here, I don't want to be to brief but I think a 5 inch box full of text just looks weird/isn't what they are asking for here....

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU - Work History Question - how did you fill the box? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 05:35
djslobo wrote:
I have a quick question regarding the NYU Stern work history form.

Given the proposed layout I'm concerned with these boxes:

Position/Title - I have a number of promotions and have changed career mid-way through my experience, the Stern Work History form seems to leave little room to 1) explain my responsibilities in each role (more so than the few achievements as listed in my CV) 2) provide more than a couple of words of text for each box (at least this is the impression I get when the template is in excel)

Reason for leaving - is promotion sufficient if I am remaining with the same employer, or are you guys just listing your most senior role at each job?

Other apps seem to give more room to outline what you have done and your responsibilities with each employer/associated with a promotion. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback here, I don't want to be to brief but I think a 5 inch box full of text just looks weird/isn't what they are asking for here....

Thanks!

I used "Promotion" as "reason for leaving" in one instance. Also, I did not interpret Stern's work history form as a vehicle for explaining achievements based on the small Excel template.

I am no expert, but if you have extensive work experience, you should be able to go beyond 1 page on the resume. You are selling yourself short otherwise. Perhaps you can use essay 4 for this, too...
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: NYU - Work History Question - how did you fill the box? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:49
@djslobo: I wouldn't worry about the work history form. Your resume should really do the talking as far as what you did at a job. If you have only worked at one company, maybe break things out by position, if several just put your last position.

@thebighurtman35: A one page resume is all you want to send in. When you make your resume for school, they want a one page only resume. Besides people that are hiring hardly ever make it to the bottom of the first page much less the second page. Unless you have like 8 years or more work experience I doubt you need a second page.

-J
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU - Work History Question - how did you fill the box? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:58
SalarymanJ wrote:
@djslobo: I wouldn't worry about the work history form. Your resume should really do the talking as far as what you did at a job. If you have only worked at one company, maybe break things out by position, if several just put your last position.

@thebighurtman35: A one page resume is all you want to send in. When you make your resume for school, they want a one page only resume. Besides people that are hiring hardly ever make it to the bottom of the first page much less the second page. Unless you have like 8 years or more work experience I doubt you need a second page.

-J

agreed. but it seemed as if @djslobo has that 8+ year career history that could warrant more than a page. was just my $0.02
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU - Work History Question - how did you fill the box? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 07:55
Is the Work History form expected to cover ALL positions, including contract, part-time, pre-graduation work (i.e. non-salaried positions)? If so, how far back should one go? Surely they don't care about your camp counsellor gig at high-school...
Re: NYU - Work History Question - how did you fill the box?   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2012, 07:55