Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Work experience required for the top ten B-schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Work experience required for the top ten B-schools [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 21:51
Hello everyone. I'm a student of civil engineering from INDIA. I wish to prepare for GMAT and study in one of the best business colleges of the world. As MBA there is very expensive, I would like to join only if I get into top 10 or 20 colleges. I've heard that they ask for minimum two years of work experience. I'm in my final year now. And I plan to apply after getting work experience of one year job. Everyone suggests that I should drop the idea of GMAT because I would never get into the top ten without two-three years' work experience. Kindly guide me for the same. I really want to work hard to get 750+ if work experience is not a resistance.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Work experience required for the top ten B-schools [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 22:15
Expert's post
Shwetaa wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm a student of civil engineering from INDIA. I wish to prepare for GMAT and study in one of the best business colleges of the world. As MBA there is very expensive, I would like to join only if I get into top 10 or 20 colleges. I've heard that they ask for minimum two years of work experience. I'm in my final year now. And I plan to apply after getting work experience of one year job. Everyone suggests that I should drop the idea of GMAT because I would never get into the top ten without two-three years' work experience. Kindly guide me for the same. I really want to work hard to get 750+ if work experience is not a resistance.

Hii Shweta,
One thing I would like to ask you is that why do you want to do an MBA. The top 10-15 schools require case study method of teaching and without sufficient experience, how can you contribute to the class in those schools. ,
Moreover regarding the stats you listed that 2-3 years of exp is mandatory, I would like to tell you that for British, French and Spanish B schools( I hope you know which schools I am talking about), 3 years is the minimum requirement. However, For US schools, they can admit you even as a fresher given the fact that you might have done something phenomenal in your UG, making you an exceptional candidate for such schools.
Few days back, I came across a guy who is going to Stanford this fall while having just 2 years of experience and with a 720.
So think about why do you want an MBA.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Work experience required for the top ten B-schools [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 05:45
Hey Thanks a lot for replying to my message. I want to go for MBA because I have always wanted to. I chose engineering and I started working for our state's biggest technical event. I again realized that I'm more into management and leadership. I have not been a great student of engineering. But I have volunteered for the event for two years, organized the whole event last year and now I've been chosen as the coordinator of the event. Many say that drop GMAT but I really don't want to! I have always dreamt of studying in colleges like Stanford and Harvard, but people here say that it wont be possible without any work-experience. And I can't wait for two years, get a job then apply. What should I do?

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 1

Re: Work experience required for the top ten B-schools [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 17:37
Expert's post
Hey Shwetta,

The short answer is the people who told you that are right. 1 year at the time of application is ambitiously ill-advised for the absolute top tier applicants. As an applicant from India, your pool is far too competitive for you to stand out with a year's experience.

I'm not saying drop the idea of the GMAT - take it if your dream is to go to a top ranked program! Just know that if you apply with a year's worth of experience, your odds aren't good - plain and simple.

My goal is to shoot you straight - I know you don't WANT to wait a few years to apply but if this means that much to you, then it is worth doing correctly. Take the time to build up your profile. Get some great experiences, get involved outside of work, and really take the next 2 - 3 years by the horns.

You've got time - don't rush this!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Work experience required for the top ten B-schools [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 02:39
Hi,

If you have extraordinary profile then you should apply with less than 2 years of work experience, many b-schools in US encourage people to apply with less work ex and I have seen in b-school websites and also attended few information sessions and got to know that they welcome applicants who are exceptionally talented and motivated, Candidates with no or limited professional experience must be strong in other aspects of their MBA application to offset the lack of experience. I would also suggest you to write to b-school admission committee and ask for their opinion about your profile. If you receive positive response then start focusing on your application, profile and GMAT. Let me know if you have any questions... Try your chances for top b-schools visit http://goo.gl/PJJU3

Regards,
Neha Singh

Shwetaa wrote:

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Work experience required for the top ten B-schools   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2013, 02:39