Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seal k

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seal k [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 13:54
Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seal k cartons in 8 hours, and working alone at its own constant rate, a second machine seals k cartons in 4 hours. If the two machines, each working at its own constant rate and for the same period of time, together sealed a certain number of cartons, what percent of the cartons were sealed by the machine working at the faster rate?

a) 25%
b) 33 1/3 %
c)50%
d)66 2/3 %
e) 75%

This question has been discussed on the forums earlier but there is not solution that explains how to get the Ans.

Can someone please help me with this one.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: GmatPrep [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 14:03
Machine 1: 50 cartons in 8 hours
Machine 2: 50 cartons in 4 hours

After 16 hours

Machine 1 100 cartons
Machine 2 200 cartons

Total cartons = 300

Faster machine = 200 cartons

200/300 = 2/3 = 66.6%
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 15:58
LoyalWater wrote:
Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seal k cartons in 8 hours, and working alone at its own constant rate, a second machine seals k cartons in 4 hours. If the two machines, each working at its own constant rate and for the same period of time, together sealed a certain number of cartons, what percent of the cartons were sealed by the machine working at the faster rate?

a) 25%
b) 33 1/3 %
c)50%
d)66 2/3 %
e) 75%

This question has been discussed on the forums earlier but there is not solution that explains how to get the Ans.

Can someone please help me with this one.

In 8 hours, machine 1 will seal k cartons.
In 8 hours, machine 2 will seal 2k cartons.

Total cartons in 8 hours = 3k
Total cartons sealed by fast machine = 2k/3k = 66 2/3%
Current Student
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 09:12
think of it like this...
what is the meaning of this---
if u can do work in 4 hrs and i can do it in 8 hrs, what does it mean??
it means that every hour, i work half as slowly as you do. thats the reason i take twice the time u take to finish the work.
so imagine if we start working and after 1 hr we want to stop, u pack say 100 bags and i since im half as efficient pack only 50 bags in 1 hr.
together we have 150 bags and your contribution is 100/150=2/3=66.66% of total work.
Re: GmatPrep   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2008, 09:12