Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Working during school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Working during school [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 09:17
I know, I know this is an over-aged debate, that everyone ultimately says, no do not do it. However, I can't help but think how working 20 hours a week for an extra 2.5-3K a month can hurt? I am contemplating bartending while in school, so the work would be left in the bar when I left every night. No need to worry about it after that. I am being over zealous about trying to tackle school and a part time gig once classes start up?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 09:42
I think you would be missing out on stuff all the time. I've checked the current activities schedule at the school I'll attend and there's about 5 different things going on at all non-class times. And on top of that, you need to add studying, workgroups and clubs. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really need the money. But if you really want to do it, then I guess it'd be better to schedule work during weekends, as you won't be missing out on so much stuff.

I may be wrong, so you may want to give it a try once you've figured out how your school works and what you'd like to do most with your free time. Maybe during the 2nd year (after recruiting) it makes more sense.

Hope it helps. L.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 09:48
I agree that the 20 hours a week you might spend bartending could be 20 hours spent networking and possibly landing a dream job. Also, I remember from my bartending days that bartending takes more of a toll than just the time you spend working -- the four hours after the bar shuts down and all the bouncers and cocktail waitresses and other staff hang out and party can be hard to resist.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Working during school [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 09:51
If you really have to work, you might try to look for something strategic. Life for example if you want to go into banking, try to see whether you can land a job that will give exposure to finance. Likewise, if you want to go back into a specific industry, try to find a part time job in a company associated with that industry.

Atleast, you can make some contacts for post MBA opportunities.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 10:25
Johnny,

Yeah, I remember those nights, I still do them every once in a while after a shift. I just think that is the best part time bang for you buck. But, I am leaning towards not working at all. The $ just would be VERY nice to have.

sm176811,

I thought about that, but I think that any part-time gig you get with those intentions is going to pay minimal and then the financial benefits are hardly worth the time commitment. At least, that is what I would assume. If I could find a job I could network in and make fairly good money that would be great. Also, I would not look past the connections one can make while "slinging beers". I had a consultant from Booze (granted it isn't major 3), offer me a job. I met him while tending bar. After all, people from all walks of life love to drink every once in a while.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 21:40
If it's a highly exclusive executive lounge in the Hyatt or at the Ritz, then maybe consider it for a weekend gig, when most bartenders make the big bucks. I forgot that you are still 24 with oodles of energy, so if you really want to do it, do it right.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 02:10
GMATT73 wrote:
If it's a highly exclusive executive lounge in the Hyatt or at the Ritz, then maybe consider it for a weekend gig, when most bartenders make the big bucks.

But they are the plum shifts at the best places. They are unlikely to hand those out to a PT worker at Grad School. Second Best isn't what they want to be, etc...
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 04:35
GMATT73,

I never thought about an exclusive lounge like that. I wonder if they really get busy enough to make it worth while? I have a friend that makes his living through the night clubs in Houston, but I really think I want to stay away from that life, too much trouble. Oh well, I am probably going to not work the first semester just to make sure I can do all I want to and still have some time for the wife.

3underscore,

3-4 shifts a week is full time for a bartender. I have very rarely ran into one that works more than that. Especially at the hot spots where you are pulling 1500/night, there is really no need to. But usually when you are a new bartender you schedule has to be open to picking up shifts. Oh well, guess I will be poor for 2 years.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 05:34
It is definitely tempting and I certainly understand the financial burden that comes with an MBA, but I would advise against it. To state the obvious, you can always make the money later.

You are spending 2 prime years of your life getting an education. You never know what opportunities might come your way if I just show up at some event.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 06:35
If you want to work, perhaps consider working for the school. At Haas, students can either be a Graduate Student Instructor (teach small sections of the large undergrad intro lectures) or a Graduate Student Reader (grade tests and papers). I'm sure other schools have the same programs.

The benefits include getting a small stipend, getting a pretty huge chunk of your tuition reduced (tax free!), working on your own time (only with the GSR though) and maybe getting to know some of the profs who can hook you up with sweet jobs.

But it does have the same drawbacks as a regular job--missing out on everything. Given that such a huge part of an MBA is the networking, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 06:41
naturallight wrote:
If you want to work, perhaps consider working for the school. At Haas, students can either be a Graduate Student Instructor (teach small sections of the large undergrad intro lectures) or a Graduate Student Reader (grade tests and papers). I'm sure other schools have the same programs.

The benefits include getting a small stipend, getting a pretty huge chunk of your tuition reduced (tax free!), working on your own time (only with the GSR though) and maybe getting to know some of the profs who can hook you up with sweet jobs.

But it does have the same drawbacks as a regular job--missing out on everything. Given that such a huge part of an MBA is the networking, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Yeah I thought about that and was really interested until I realized Rice does not have a Ugrad business program! So that is out of the question. I think I am just going to skip out on working and do just school. I worked about 45 hours/week my entire Ugrad so I am looking forward to being JUST a student and nothing more.
  [#permalink] 30 May 2007, 06:41