Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Working for a Subsidiary- list Parent Company on Resume?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Working for a Subsidiary- list Parent Company on Resume? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 22:05
Hi Everyone,

Quick question: if you work for a subsidiary of a well known consulting firm, for example, should you list the subsidiary on your resume or the parent company? Technically, the subsidiary practically shares everything with the company, like payroll system, training systems, and even email chains. Even to clients, we represent and refer to ourselves as the parent company, only difference is the subsidiary is more technically inclined and so the parents uses it as a shell to get into technical projects.

How should this be represented on a resume. Would it be permissible to list the parent company and then the subsidiary in parentheses? Would it be okay to just refer to the parent company in essays?

As FYI, I've had background checks performed listing the parent company and they come back clean, considering even HR systems are shared, I just want to do what is ethically permissible and represents me in the best fashion, since big names go a long way.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Working for a Subsidiary- list Parent Company on Resume? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 22:25
If your background checks have come back clean in the past, then I see no reason for not mentioning the parent company's name if you want to...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Re: Working for a Subsidiary- list Parent Company on Resume? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 11:23
I was thinking about that. I just want to make sure I'm not crossing any boundaries or confuse the adcoms.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Working for a Subsidiary- list Parent Company on Resume? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I tend to err on the side of caution, so I'd list it as "ABC, subsidiary of XYZ" (if you feel it's necessary to list the parent company)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 1

Re: Working for a Subsidiary- list Parent Company on Resume? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Aerien is spot on! Proper format: "COMPANY NAME, wholly/partially owned subsidiary of PARENT CO NAME"

As for including it, do so. It isn't name dropping - it's merely accurate and can provide context if your company's name is off the beaten path. It gives the adcom a point to fixate on to be able to assess the pedigree without having to do secondary research.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Working for a Subsidiary- list Parent Company on Resume?   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2013, 13:05