Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

working..while doing a full time MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 22:26
All, what are you guys' opinion on working while studying full time for an MBA?
Does this actually happen? bad idea/doable ?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 04:19
I have a classmate who is working while doing her MBA. She also considers 5 hr of sleep to be a "good night's rest".

I honestly have no idea how she does it. I think you'd have to sacrifice some of the benefits of b-school: socializing, networking, your learning during classes.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 10:46
Thanks RF
Was she the only one who does this there?

5 hours of rest?? Hmm..I just had an 8 hour deep sleep..not a good sign.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 03:01
She's the only one I know of.

I do know of a few 2nd years who work "part-time" for the company they interned with over the summer, but that's much different. The 2nd year is much less demanding in terms of time and the "jobs" are more like projects that require 10 hr/week or so.

RF

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 06:06
I don't know of anyone here who's working during school. In the fall there were a couple students who were working on a consulting basis for their former employer, but that was pretty much just a few hours a week to finish up whatever projects they were working on. The dominant view here is 1) there's more than enough school-related stuff to do that there simply isn't enough time to fit in a job, and 2) we have our entire lives ahead of us to work, let's enjoy these two years while we can.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 09:19
I know people who are working part time, 1-2 days a week, but thats very rare. It depends on how your program is structured and what your taking for classes. I dont think working fulltime and going to school fulltime would be possible. Even if you could schedule classes at night meetings and everything else typically takes place during the day. Plus you have social activities and homework and exams...so school often keeps you as busier than working 40hrs a week.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 09:06
I see..cool, thx guys. Good to have some students' perspectives there.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 22:56
i think its a bad idea but its mainly depends on you. my many frnds doing MBA full time and they do part time job so its mainly depends on you how you manage

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 22:32
This post received
KUDOS
If none of you have ever bartended, I'd bartend one night a week for the rest of my life, no matter what I was doing. Social and sexy, and guess what, analytical as well, multi tasking, number crunching and quick thinking / decision making. Also a few extra cash bucks per week for lunches / coffees out. Also every saturday night spent bartending while doing my undergrad equated to a sunday that was productive because I wasn't hung over. I think working less than ten hours a week is a fine idea, especially if it is something you enjoy doing, or if it is something that can give your mind a break.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 21:13
Hey! I just wanted to resurrect this thread and see if anyone has an opinion on how feasible working part-time while doing a full-time MBA is. While I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, my current employer has floated the idea of me working on a freelance or retainer basis if I do get accepted, and I'm seriously mulling it over and would welcome your thoughts. Right now my team is scattered across the country, so most of our work is done by email/phone anyway. Actually being available during regular business hours all the time wouldn't be a problem.

So, how many hours per week could you work freelance without missing out on content from MBA classes, socializing, networking, etc.? 10? 15? 20?
Intern
Intern

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 02:06
Yes and its tough
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 14:12
I was pondering the same question. From my experience, it sounds like if you must work, it is good to find something where you can have a really flexible schedule that doesn't require too much mental/emotional investment. Since this will be two of the most important years of your career, it seems pretty crucial to put every effort to succeed in the program and make meaningful connections. At the same time, you have to pay the bills, though. It seems really tricky to me!
Intern
Intern

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 21:56
The students who are pursuing full time MBA doesn't having any time to do the part time work, it affects mentally on students.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Mannheim (A)
GMAT Date: 01-25-2014
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 04:58
Can anyone comment on working while doing a full time online MBA (such as Penn State iMBA)?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 05:08
SharkWeek wrote:
Can anyone comment on working while doing a full time online MBA (such as Penn State iMBA)?

Isn't the point of an online MBA to continue working while pursuing it? If you weren't going to work, why not do an in person full time program?
Intern
Intern

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 07:01
For a one year MBA, it's almost impossible to even have part time work, unless it's something that you could do in your own time. This is due to the intense class schedules and group works where usually the other team members would want you to contribute in the work. For a 2 years MBA, well...maybe it's doable.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 20:41
If you're going to go back to the same employers it shouldn't be a problem as you wouldn't need to focus on recruiting.

If you need to focus your time and energy on other things such as recruiting, it's probably a case by case basis.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: working..while doing a full time MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 22:53
I know this is an older post, but doing MBA homework now. Decided to Google working full time, MBA full time and this post showed.

Well, I can say this - I am mentally fatigued most of the time, usually finishing my school projects at the 11th hour, juggling the one child I have left (oldest one finally in college, but luckily other kid 50% of time), and right now very tired while I attempt to gather any energy leftover to work on even a small amount of HW.

I work as a Senior Project Manager and still have to have my brain functioning during the day. I have no idea how I do this, but I am.
My program is also online and works for me. As to attending a brick and mortar school, at this point in my life, would not coordinate well with schedule.

So if you want no life, go ahead and do it!! :lol:
Re: working..while doing a full time MBA?   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2014, 22:53