Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

World Education Services - International GPA Calculator

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 22:32
I recently tried out the International GPA Calculator service at the World Education Services website. I am quite happy with the GPA it had calculated from my marks (3.8/4) :D. But I am not quite sure about how credible this is. Does the WES have any weightage? Do schools use this service to calculate GPA or do they have their own methods?... Insights would help.. :)

Thanks In Advance..

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 246 [1] , given: 67

Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 04:32
This post received
KUDOS
MacFauz wrote:
I recently tried out the International GPA Calculator service at the World Education Services website. I am quite happy with the GPA it had calculated from my marks (3.8/4) :D. But I am not quite sure about how credible this is. Does the WES have any weightage? Do schools use this service to calculate GPA or do they have their own methods?... Insights would help.. :)

Thanks In Advance..

Rice university wants its international applicant to get their scores converted by wes....hence i think it is 200% reliable....

Archit
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [1] , given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
MacFauz wrote:

Thanks In Advance..

Can't tell for sure. I've asked how the conversion is done at a few info sessions and all I got was: the school has it covered. I'd like to probe on it more and you could possibly post in the ask admissions thread as well. If possible, I would also include this as a supplementary doc. for my app.

My thoughts: should be a mix really. few might have a different method and a few might use WES.

P.S: 3.8 is pretty good. What was it on a scale of 10? 8-ish?

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 05:37
jumsumtak wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Thanks In Advance..

Can't tell for sure. I've asked how the conversion is done at a few info sessions and all I got was: the school has it covered. I'd like to probe on it more and you could possibly post in the ask admissions thread as well. If possible, I would also include this as a supplementary doc. for my app.

My thoughts: should be a mix really. few might have a different method and a few might use WES.

P.S: 3.8 is pretty good. What was it on a scale of 10? 8-ish?

On a scale of hundred... And actually was only 70%... I thought that would be translated to around 3.5 and hence my skepticism (is skepticism not a word.. Underlined in red.. :? )...

VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 06:38
hmm.. and that would be what, 75th-80th percentile for your class?

P.S: skepticism is a word!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 07:17
jumsumtak wrote:
hmm.. and that would be what, 75th-80th percentile for your class?

P.S: skepticism is a word!

If by class, you mean just my college (60 people), probably not.. maybe around 65-70th percentile (my college was one of the top 5 of all the colleges under the university for mechanical engineering) ... But if by class, you mean all the people who took the same course and the same exams as I did (Possibly 5000+) then I guess I might be in the 75-80th percentile range...

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-24-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 21:40
I had converted my GPA too using WES ( ~6.5/10 came to 3.2/4. However does anyone know if this can be submitted in applications instead of the undergrad generated GPA scores?I am particularly interested in understanding if europe schools recognize and accept WES scores?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 04:21
Expert's post
vsub08 wrote:
I had converted my GPA too using WES ( ~6.5/10 came to 3.2/4. However does anyone know if this can be submitted in applications instead of the undergrad generated GPA scores?I am particularly interested in understanding if europe schools recognize and accept WES scores?

Each school has their own policy and you need to check with each one, but in general, ALL schools will see your original score as you will asked to provide your official transcripts.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
When I worked as the Director of MBA Admissions at Texas A&M, one of my staff members was an expert in evaluating international transcripts. She routinely attended trainings to be up to date on current developments. She always indicated to me that WES was a solid resource, and that many US universities utilize WES to evaluate transcripts.

Jon@Admissionado is correct, though. Every school is different.

Hope this information is helpful. If I can help further, please let me know.

Wendy Flynn
MBA Admissions Coach
wendylflynn89@gmail.com

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
15 Years as Director of MBA Admissions - Now Working For the Applicants as the MBA Admissions Coach
Wendy Flynn is the MBA Admissions Coach, providing comprehensive MBA admissions consulting services. As the former Director of MBA Admissions for 15 years at a top-30 MBA pgoram, Wendy holds deep expertise in admissions issues for Full-Time, Executive and Professional (Part-Time) MBA Programs. Through her blog, MBA Expert Insights, she brings the view of the Director of MBA admissions to MBA applicants and others.

WendyLFlynn89@gmail.com
Web: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com
MBA Expert Insights Blog: http://www.mbaadmissionscoach.com/blog/
Facebook: http://Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn
Member of the AIGAC, Association of International Graduate Admissions Counselors

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 00:52
vsub08 wrote:

Hi there

Did you study in India. Can I know which university, as I had a similar 10 point grading system at university and am in the process of getting my transcripts evaluated by WES? Also, did you finally submit the WES evaluation along with your application?

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 13:07
How about 3.92/4.00 GPA calculated for my degree using WES iGPA calculator ?

Also, i need suggestions from your guys that based on my GPA, which universities in USA or Canada can offer me PhD in Electrical/Electronics Engineering ?

Thanks
Re: World Education Services - International GPA Calculator   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2014, 13:07