Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 09:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Worried about Quant timing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Worried about Quant timing [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 19:43
I took another MGMAT CAT yesterday and started running out of time mid way. I got a string of 700-800 level questions early on and I got them correct. I was in the 99th percentile when my timing started to fall behind. Towards the end, I was running 8-9 minutes behind and had only 13 minutes for the last 11 questions. At this point I panicked and made a number of careless errors. I went through the errors today, of course without the timer, and was able to workout most of the questions I got wrong. Except for 2-3 questions, I didn't have a problem with the concept. I ended up with a 730 (Q 45, V45) last night. I'm starting to worry about the timing on the quant section. What can I do to improve the timing? I've less than 2 weeks to go.

Give me kudos if you like my post!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Worried about Quant timing [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 20:12
Don't worry too much about MGMAT timing. I have given 4 MGMAT, 1 PR and 1 GMAT Prep

Please don't look at my absolute timing below, just see the relative time for perspective.
PR: I finished 30 mins before time with 0 incorrect. I talked to my X-roomie (GMAT-780) and he said actually main GMAT is not much harder than PR.
MGMAT: I have finished quant 5-20 mins before time in each. "I feel" like they add too much unnecessary computational complexity on top of the concepts (maybe for a good reason, but I personally think otherwise). As long as you have no conceptual problems, you are all set to rock GMAT.
GMATPrep: As we all know, this is the closest one can get to GMAT. My experience was that the questions were conceptually same as MGMAT but with NO (or less) added computational complexity. Although my section timed out, because I spent 30sec-1min extra to reverse calculate each answer, as I wanted to try something different :p. But if I did normally, I should have had 10-15 mins spare in the end.

In sum, as long as you don't have conceptual issues in MGMAT, I think you should be okay in main GMAT - again that's what I think :)

ps. I have not given GMAT, so I can't tell if real GMAT will be as hard as MGMAT. But based on what I have heard, that's my take.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Worried about Quant timing [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 20:42
bschool2014 wrote:
I took another MGMAT CAT yesterday and started running out of time mid way. I got a string of 700-800 level questions early on and I got them correct. I was in the 99th percentile when my timing started to fall behind. Towards the end, I was running 8-9 minutes behind and had only 13 minutes for the last 11 questions. At this point I panicked and made a number of careless errors. I went through the errors today, of course without the timer, and was able to workout most of the questions I got wrong. Except for 2-3 questions, I didn't have a problem with the concept. I ended up with a 730 (Q 45, V45) last night. I'm starting to worry about the timing on the quant section. What can I do to improve the timing? I've less than 2 weeks to go.

If you're worried about timing based on MGMAT Quant, then don't. MGMAT Quant questions are genuinely lengthy and cumbersome. They are supposed to push you off-track. The solutions that I see themselves are very long. You have to consider a hell lot of possibilites while solving, especially the inequalities. I always take MGMAT Quant untimed and I haven't yet had a problem with timing. I finished about 15 gmatclub tests all in 1 hour with 80-85% accuracy. I finish Kaplan with 8-10 mins to spare and Princeton with 15 mins to spare. I also had finished GMATPrep 1 with 10 mins to spare. So don't fuss. Remember every single GMAT Quant question can be solved under 2 minutes. And if it can't be, then guess it and move on. You're doing really well keep it up.

Hope that helps.

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Manager
Manager

Re: Worried about Quant timing [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 21:15
Thanks guys for the encouragement!

How long does each GMATClub Quant test take? Something I'll consider in the next couple of days. I plan to do only GMATPrep problems in the last week before the test.
Do you recommend taking the Princeton CAT? Is it accurate? I plan to take 2 more MGMAT CATs and 1 GMATPrep over the next 13 days.

Manager
Manager

Re: Worried about Quant timing [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 21:22
I took the first GMATPrep test a while ago. So I don't remember how long the quant took, but I don't recollect having an issue with timing in either sections. I'll take the second test to see how I do on the timing.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Worried about Quant timing [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 22:45
bschool2014 wrote:
Thanks guys for the encouragement!

How long does each GMATClub Quant test take? Something I'll consider in the next couple of days. I plan to do only GMATPrep problems in the last week before the test.
Do you recommend taking the Princeton CAT? Is it accurate? I plan to take 2 more MGMAT CATs and 1 GMATPrep over the next 13 days.

If you have over a month left for your test date, then I think you can take the tests. Gmatclub tests have to be used carefully.

If you have fewer than 15 days left, then forget everything else and jump to GMAT Prep and GMATPrep docs. They will take a lot of time anyway. There's about 200 questions from every section!!!

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Worried about Quant timing [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 05:44
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
bschool2014 wrote:

If you're worried about timing based on MGMAT Quant, then don't. MGMAT Quant questions are genuinely lengthy and cumbersome. They are supposed to push you off-track. The solutions that I see themselves are very long. You have to consider a hell lot of possibilites while solving, especially the inequalities. I always take MGMAT Quant untimed and I haven't yet had a problem with timing. I finished about 15 gmatclub tests all in 1 hour with 80-85% accuracy. I finish Kaplan with 8-10 mins to spare and Princeton with 15 mins to spare. I also had finished GMATPrep 1 with 10 mins to spare. So don't fuss. Remember every single GMAT Quant question can be solved under 2 minutes. And if it can't be, then guess it and move on. You're doing really well keep it up.

Hope that helps.

Akhilesh ,
I am too having the same problem of quant timing ...you are saying to take the quant section without timing..But do u think it will really help..Do you think that the real Gmat questions are same as that of MGMAT/ the MGMAT is tougher...Because as u said I too finish the kaplan and the princeton 10 mins b4 but I am facing timing problems with MGMAT quant and verbal too...whats ur say on this...what shall i do when i solve mgmat tests?
Re: Worried about Quant timing   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2011, 05:44