Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Worried About Undergrad School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Broad, McCombs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 07:25
I'm applying to McCombs and I'm worried that my undergrad institution wasn't prestigious enough. I went to a local state school instead of a big name school. I graduated in 4 years with a 3.91 "major" GPA. Will this knock me out of the running?

I'm 29
6 years WE
700 GMAT
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 07:37
gater wrote:
I'm applying to McCombs and I'm worried that my undergrad institution wasn't prestigious enough. I went to a local state school instead of a big name school. I graduated in 4 years with a 3.91 "major" GPA. Will this knock me out of the running?

I'm 29
6 years WE
700 GMAT

No.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
Unless you went to a school called University of Phoenix (basically paying tuition for a degree), you have nothing to worry about.

Brand of your UG institution has nothing to do with your qualification. I've met a lot of students from obscure state universities who are now matriculating at some of the top bschools.

In addition, I've also met a Chicago Booth MBA alumni with undergraduate degree from DeVry University......true story. (He was exceptionally brilliant, so your UG has nothing to do with your qualification)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 07:51
nink wrote:
Unless you went to a school called University of Phoenix (basically paying tuition for a degree), you have nothing to worry about.

Brand of your UG institution has nothing to do with your qualification. I've met a lot of students from obscure state universities who are now matriculating at some of the top bschools.

In addition, I've also met a Chicago Booth MBA alumni with undergraduate degree from DeVry University......true story. (He was exceptionally brilliant, so your UG has nothing to do with your qualification)

Hey don't knock my alma mater U of Phoenix. I didn't pay for my degree. I made a "donation" for my degree. It feels better that way. Just kidding.

As nink says, not to worry. What is your overall GPA? If that is low then perhaps you might be at a disadvantage. You mention "major" GPA but what major? Also what is the GMAT breakdown? Those items will be more important than the actual institution.
Intern
Intern

Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 08:50
lagomez wrote:
nink wrote:

Hey don't knock my alma mater U of Phoenix. I didn't pay for my degree. I made a "donation" for my degree. It feels better that way. Just kidding.

As nink says, not to worry. What is your overall GPA? If that is low then perhaps you might be at a disadvantage. You mention "major" GPA but what major? Also what is the GMAT breakdown? Those items will be more important than the actual institution.

I went to the state school and got a 3.78 overall, but McCombs asks for "major" GPA. I also took summer classes at a local CC and got a 3.72 and took a few 500 level classes at a different local state school to make sure I wanted to go into Finance and got a 3.93.

I'm not sure what my breakdown was on the GMAT, my print out is at home.

Thanks for your replies, I feel much better about my undergrad.
VP
VP

Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 10:23
gater wrote:
lagomez wrote:
nink wrote:

I went to the state school and got a 3.78 overall, but McCombs asks for "major" GPA. I also took summer classes at a local CC and got a 3.72 and took a few 500 level classes at a different local state school to make sure I wanted to go into Finance and got a 3.93.

I'm not sure what my breakdown was on the GMAT, my print out is at home.

Thanks for your replies, I feel much better about my undergrad.

Breakdown is more important if you have a non-quant degree. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 10:37
Gater, you have nothing to worry about, you can look on UT's website and see other schools that are represented in the MBA program.

Historically UT doesn't care very much about what school you come from. Pedigree is much more important at the Ultra elite level.

Intern
Intern

Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 10:40
Great! I have an engineering degree and I want to back for a MBA with a Corporate Finance emphasis, so the quant shouldn't be an issue!
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 13:27
I agree with what everyone else here has stated for the most part, especially as it pertains to UT. Don't kid yourselves into believing that where you went to Ugrad doesn't matter though. Adcoms most definitely take that into account. How much it matters to each school is another story.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 15:57
So the honest answer is your school matters...it is definitely something that is evaluated, along with major, etc. That said just because you go to a no name program doesn't mean you can't get into a top school. From my class at a 150 person a year no name school there is a Sloan alum, UCLA alum, and I graduated from Kellogg. Our year is definitely unual but it shows that you can overcome lack of a brand name undergrad.

Your high GPA is and if you are an engineer thats a harder major than getting some joke major from an ivy.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 348

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 16:09
Quote:
Your high GPA is and if you are an engineer thats a harder major than getting some joke major from an ivy.

True that.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 08:15
whiplash2411 wrote:
Quote:

True that.

What would qualify as a joke major? History majors that I know, often joked about, do well in law school.
Re: Worried About Undergrad School   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2010, 08:15