Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Worse Than Expected results...Urgent help needed.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Worse Than Expected results...Urgent help needed. [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 08:24
Expert's post
Hi Rakesh,

I am sorry to hear to that you didn't reach your goal this time but you'll get there. A few questions:

1. What materials have you used so far?

2. What practice tests have you taken?

3. What were your GMATPrep scores?

Let me know!

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and Tutoring: http://AtlanticGMAT.com

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set and some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Worse Than Expected results...Urgent help needed. [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 09:41
Expert's post
Hi,

You are welcome. Your Quant is pretty solid but there is no reason why you can't push it up to a 49 or so with GMATClub tests. That would get you to 600+. For verbal there is much more territory to cover. A few things:

1. Focus on the low hanging fruit (the easy wins). For most people sentence correction is the easiest question type to improve on. MGMAT guide is very comprehensive so while it has most of the information that you need it is very dense and has a lot of information that you will not need. You could still use it although I would start with one the more condensed guides created by users on this forum. I don't have direct links for those but they are easy to find.

2. For reading comprehension and critical reasoning identify your strengths and weaknesses. Develop your test instincts and get expert at process of elimination. You want to make high percentage choices.

You have a lot of points to recover in verbal. You can still get many questions wrong and improve your score a whole bunch. Half of this battle is learning content but the other half will be developing test strategies for process of elimination and moving on (timing). Some resources for verbal:

The Verbal review 2nd edition
Question Pack 1
10 FLTs
9 GMAT Paper Tests

Let me know if you need more advice on this.

Happy Studies,

HG.

PS: As you study keep an error log of difficult questions/questions you got wrong so that you can review them and the associated content areas. This is critical.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and Tutoring: http://AtlanticGMAT.com

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set and some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Worse Than Expected results...Urgent help needed. [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 23:35
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

You are welcome. Your Quant is pretty solid but there is no reason why you can't push it up to a 49 or so with GMATClub tests. That would get you to 600+. For verbal there is much more territory to cover. A few things:

1. Focus on the low hanging fruit (the easy wins). For most people sentence correction is the easiest question type to improve on. MGMAT guide is very comprehensive so while it has most of the information that you need it is very dense and has a lot of information that you will not need. You could still use it although I would start with one the more condensed guides created by users on this forum. I don't have direct links for those but they are easy to find.

2. For reading comprehension and critical reasoning identify your strengths and weaknesses. Develop your test instincts and get expert at process of elimination. You want to make high percentage choices.

You have a lot of points to recover in verbal. You can still get many questions wrong and improve your score a whole bunch. Half of this battle is learning content but the other half will be developing test strategies for process of elimination and moving on (timing). Some resources for verbal:

The Verbal review 2nd edition
Question Pack 1
10 FLTs
9 GMAT Paper Tests

Let me know if you need more advice on this.

Happy Studies,

HG.

PS: As you study keep an error log of difficult questions/questions you got wrong so that you can review them and the associated content areas. This is critical.

Hi HG,

Can you tell me where to get 10 FTs and 9 Gmat paper tests.

I am also looking forward to increase my verbal score.

Thanks,
Abhinav

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 5

Re: Worse Than Expected results...Urgent help needed. [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 09:53
Expert's post
Reassess your thought process for verbal questions - perhaps get a friend who did well and compare how they are thinking with how you think.

If you are doing a lot of questions and religiously reviewing them and still not getting anywhere - you need to change your thought process. This involves identifying important parts of a question - knowing what to focus on and what NOT to focus on - and how to manage time.

Perhaps you can try comparing your thought process with some of the questions and video explanations here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Worse Than Expected results...Urgent help needed.   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2013, 09:53