Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Worth a retake? - 660 (39Q, 42V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Worth a retake? - 660 (39Q, 42V) [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 14:08
Hi guys,

I'm totally baffled by my score today. 39Q (53%) 42V (95%). I've been testing well on math, however I think the pressures of test day got to me. My timing was very off. The questions weren't hard, per se, however timing really is a HUGE factor. I thought verbal was really tough, however I somehow pulled out an amazing score. Is this worth a retake? I've never scored this high on verbal on any of my practice tests, and I've never scored this low on math! In a retake I know verbal will fall back down, however my math is sure to improve. Do schools look negatively on a candidate with such a skewed score breakdown like this? Is it better to be in the 70-80% on both than have this type of breakdown? 53% isn't totally awful but it's certainly nothing to write home about...

Gmat Prep 1 Q42 V40 660
Gmat Prep 2 Q46 V38 680
Knewton Practice Cat Q48 V35 690
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Worth a retake? - 660 (39Q, 42V) [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 19:15
taylor85 wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm totally baffled by my score today. 39Q (53%) 42V (95%). I've been testing well on math, however I think the pressures of test day got to me. My timing was very off. The questions weren't hard, per se, however timing really is a HUGE factor. I thought verbal was really tough, however I somehow pulled out an amazing score. Is this worth a retake? I've never scored this high on verbal on any of my practice tests, and I've never scored this low on math! In a retake I know verbal will fall back down, however my math is sure to improve. Do schools look negatively on a candidate with such a skewed score breakdown like this? Is it better to be in the 70-80% on both than have this type of breakdown? 53% isn't totally awful but it's certainly nothing to write home about...

Gmat Prep 1 Q42 V40 660
Gmat Prep 2 Q46 V38 680
Knewton Practice Cat Q48 V35 690

Hi,
There are couple of thing which you should consider before retaking the test.

1. Which schools you want to attend and what is there average GMAT score?
2. GMAT is only one criteria to evaluate application. Admission in good B school depends on GMAT score, Resume, Work Experience, Recommendation letters and your essays. A person with 680 score can be rejected while a chap having merely 590 can be accepted if he/she is clear in his/her thoughts and knows what he/she wants to do in future.
3. If you are targetting top 15-20 schools then they prefer balance score. I was dinged by top 4 schools because of imbalance in my GMAT score (Q49 and V 23... :( ). But do remember that GMAT score is one of the important threshold for interview and admission.

4. The good thing about your GMAT score is that you have performed excellently in the verbal section. So, to show B-schools that you are keep to take admission in a good B-school and to improve your quant, you may think to join some quant. certificate courses. There will be two benefits from those course.
- Many schools prefer that their students take some extra quant. classes (related to business and finance) before admission.
- By admitting you can show those B-schools that you are also interested to improve your business related maths skills prior to your admission.

5. Finally, you have to make final decision based on your target B schools and your future plans.

Ciao and Cheers
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9421 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Worth a retake? - 660 (39Q, 42V) [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 07:43
Expert's post
See this discussion: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

I think you are at a good spot and your practice scores do not indicate any kind of a discrepancy...
If you decide to retake, you will need to spend a few months studying.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Worth a retake? - 660 (39Q, 42V)   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2010, 07:43