Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Worth applying in round 3?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Worth applying in round 3? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 07:52
Hi all, just registered but have been reading some of the discussion here for past week.

I am looking to apply at Insead of Jan 2014 intake but can only apply in round 3 now. I am in the middle of writing my essays and at best can submit the application by July 15-20.

But reading some of the topics in forum about the choice between applying in round 1,2 or 3; it seems that applying in round 3 is thoroughly discouraged. Keeping that in mind is it actually worth applying right now for Jan intake?

To give a brief idea of my profile:

Gmat - 750 Q-50,V-42
Work ex- 3.5 years
International exposure - 2 years MS in Germany and One year Work ex in Italy
Engineering degree with highest grade in a second tier Indian college (DCE, University of Delhi)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 22

Re: Worth applying in round 3? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 12:09
Hey there - glad you asked. We do NOT recommend an Indian candidate apply in any of INSEAD's Round 3 (any program start). For all other candidates, the chances are near-equal in all three rounds, based on the rolling process that they have, but competition among the Indian applicant pool is different and they will already have accepted a lot of people from your region. They don't have a strict cut-off so you could potentially still make it if your app is really strong, but it's a lot easier to get in through the first two rounds. It really depends on your motivations and why you would need to rush it. There could be cases where it works - but INSEAD generally is not reapplicant friendly so it's a big risk. We say, just hold off and go for the following intake and Round 1.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

Re: Worth applying in round 3? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 12:26
Thanks for replying. I wanted to target the Jan instake for internship opportunities but will need to reconsider it strongly now.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Worth applying in round 3? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 16:10
crappy wrote:
Thanks for replying. I wanted to target the Jan instake for internship opportunities but will need to reconsider it strongly now.

Are they Insead internship opportunities? And If so, why do you think they will not be available for Sept intake?
Thank you
Intern
Intern

Re: Worth applying in round 3? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 22:58
NikRu wrote:
crappy wrote:

Are they Insead internship opportunities? And If so, why do you think they will not be available for Sept intake?
Thank you

From what I know, the Jan Batch gets time off in the summer, in the middle of the graduate year, for optional internship. (According to feedback I got from one Indian student there for this batch, it was not that easy to get one this year for non Chinese speakers but eventually she got an offer from PayPal) While there is no such window for July batch.
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 22

Re: Worth applying in round 3? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 09:47
crappy wrote:
From what I know, the Jan Batch gets time off in the summer, in the middle of the graduate year, for optional internship. (According to feedback I got from one Indian student there for this batch, it was not that easy to get one this year for non Chinese speakers but eventually she got an offer from PayPal) While there is no such window for July batch.

Yes. The INSEAD MBA is a very short program and many people do not do an internship since there is no standard break in the curriculum for that, as there would be with a longer 2-year program like at the American schools. Starting in the January intake is a different schedule and allows for an internship. The INSEAD FAQ explains it: http://mba.insead.edu/faq/StructureandCurriculum.cfm#SeptemberJanuaryintake

The non-Chinese speaker thing obviously relates to recruiting out of the Singapore campus specifically. That would not be an issue in Fontainebleau.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Worth applying in round 3? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 23:58
You have a good profile. INSEAD will like your international experience and high GMAT. Though you have lower experience, I am assuming the quality of that experience is very good.

If I were you, I wouldn't rush my application. You haven't even completed your essays. It takes a lot more effort to get from draft version of your essays to ready-to-be-shipped version. Get your application reviewed by alumni of INSEAD to take that decision. If INSEAD is your dream school, it matters even more. INSEAD doesn't encourage re-applicants. If you are rejected once, the chances are extremely low to get in again.

Most other European schools have 4 rounds but INSEAD has 3 rounds like other US schools. Aug 7th is the deadline for the final round. If you are international applicant, I wouldn't suggest applying in the final round.

We generally encourage people for January intake as it has internship option. September intake doesn't have an internship option. This matters a lot if you are planning to change your career. Your situation is different.

Having said that, if you have a strong profile and high quality essays, you can get in even in the final round. The probability is lower but not zero. We have seen people getting in the final round as well. In summary, speak to alumni of INSEAD and take a decision.

Good luck!
http://www.InterviewBay.com
Re: Worth applying in round 3?   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2013, 23:58