Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 15:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Worth the time to practice Reading Comp?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

Worth the time to practice Reading Comp? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2007, 11:54
Hello All,

I wanted everyones opinion. Do you think it is worth the time to even practice reading comp? My verbal varies, as I've been scoring around 33-35, but recently got a 41 (But I had seen two of the reading comp passages before, although didn't remember much of it at all.).

I've studied the SC for weeks. Gone and done the Manhattan SC guide, and I'm down to 4 SC's wrong a test. I think that is pretty good. My RC seems to be the weakest. Do you think it is worth practicing RC passages, or just go back to Quant and try to kick ass in it. I last scored a 40 in Quant.

Thoughts?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 13:58
How are you doing on CR? If RC is what's holding your verbal score back I think it's worth while to spend some time on it. PR, and OG have some good strategies on the subject...personally I find looking out for keywords helps a lot. Read through the passage, look for keywords indicating shifts in tone, topic, pov, etc. and critically read the text that follows/precedes the keyword. Saves time, and makes sure you don't miss key info. Also, you can skim the passage, get the general gist and answer the mainpoint questions. Then use the q stems to refer back to certain areas of the passage and read those in depth. Personally, I don't like this strategy, but if you're in a time crunch it helps. From all that I've read a balanced score is always a plus, especially if you're looking at Wharton with its 80/80 rule.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2007, 07:59
If RC is your weak spot, then YES you need to practice it!
  [#permalink] 08 Jul 2007, 07:59