Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would appreciate a profile review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Kellogg '17
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Analyst (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Would appreciate a profile review [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 09:25
Age- 26

Nationality - Indian

GMAT 2- 700 (Q49, V- 35)
GMAT 1- 680 (Q49, V-34)
WE- 3.5 (so far) in Retail Analytics + Decision Making global firm (offices in US, UK, Asia and Europe)
1. worked with the 2nd largest grocery retailer in the US on streamlining their loyalty and rewards work stream, was recognized for my efforts with an inter-company award and a promotion
2. Worked with one of the largest coffee and fresh bread chains in the US, streamlining their loyalty card offering and making the program more personalized for the customer.
3. Currently working with the second largest grocery retailer in a Scandinavian country, worked on the Pricing Strategy for one their store formats which has been rolled-out nationally. Worked directly with the pricing team of the Client, while being at their offices in Scandinavia.

Undergrad- Bachelors in Engineering from Delhi University (Top 10 engineering college of the country)
Undergrad Score - 3.5

Leadership Roles/Community Service-

1. President of the Toastmasters Club of the corporate club at my organization, was also the VP, Education for the Club the year before I became the president. winner of awards at the Area level, Certified Competent Communicator.
2. Head, Quizzing Club at my organization, started the club and am responsible for hosting all the trivia quizzing activities at the office. Have also represented the organization in inter-company quizzing competitions.
3. NGO work- working in my spare time with a charitable NGO which provides schooling to under-privileged slum kids
4. Head of Publications, IEEE-Student chapter at my undergrad college. Was responsible for the publication of all the technical magazines from the stable
5. Founder and Head of the Quiz Club at my undergrad college, have participated and won many inter-collegiate trivia competitions across the country.

Post MBA goals:-
To work in a firm like Amazon, which is the biggest online retailer and apply the principles of management, analytics and marketing to make the online experience even better.
Or
To move in the field of consulting where my inter-personal and analytical skills can be utilized to the fullest in providing the best strategic solutions to my Clients

Schools targeted:-
Dream- Kellogg, Wharton,Tuck (First 2 are good schools in the field of Marketing, Tuck very good in General Management & Consulting)
Reach- Duke, Ross, Darden

I am not very happy with my GMAT score; it's not the score that I'd love to have, but it's something that I can live with. What do you think are my chances at an admit at these schools? Should I look at some other schools as well? Planning to apply next year, so will have a WE of about 60 months if and when I start my classes in the Fall of 2014.

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would appreciate a profile review [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well, your 700 is a good comfortable basis to work from, to all the schools you have on your list. It may have been lower than you hoped, but still, it's a 700!!! It's true that often Indian candidates are applying with higher scores than the average,s o if you believe you can get higher, it might be worth your while to try (you do have a year after all). But whatever the case, just as, if not more important will be your application. I think you have a unique enough industry and story, along with some excellent international experience, that will make you more than "just another programmer", and you need to look for stuff like that all throughout your profile.

As far as your goals are concerned, I'd go with the first rather than the second set of goals, as it fits you better (although in reality once you get accepted, you could choose what you want, of course).

And for your schools list, it's a bit challenging, so you might add one or two safer schools into the mix.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Would appreciate a profile review [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 10:59
Thank you Jon for the prompt response! Appreciate that a lot!

I went form 680 to 700 on the actual GMAT and both times my scores in prep tests used to be in the 700-720-740 range. So, my point of view is that investing time on the GMAT for an incremental +20 points is not worth it, unless and until my score at 700 becomes a definite criteria for rejection than selection. I can invest the time in doing things that would make my profile stronger- for example, more active participation in the NGO work, develop on few of the hobbies that I have picked up (i picked up the guitar, and I intend to clear the basic Grade Exam conducted by Trinity Hall). Let me know if you see a flaw in my line of thought. I am not averse to retake the GMAT, but as I said, I am looking at it from the incremental gain point of view, more than anything else.

Agree on the goals part- being specific here by talking about a firm that I intend to work at and making MBA the logical extension of the work that I am currently doing makes it easier for me to come up with my story. It also has a sense of "familiarity" and concreteness than talking about General management Consulting.

I did have a feeling that I am perhaps shooting for the stars here with my current list of schools, but as you said, more than happy to add a few safe schools. I looked at UCLA, Kelley, Johnson and Hass and figured that I might have to select a couple from this list. What do you think? I hope I am not sounding daft or anything as I want to have a proper reality check, before I start drafting my applications. I appreciate your time and patience a lot!
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would appreciate a profile review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 02:04
Expert's post
I would totally agree that retaking the GMAT for "maybe 20 points more" is not usually worth it. and focusing on other things, like volunteerwork is an excellent idea. One other thing to do that would not be such a bad idea is getting to know the schools better, by which I mean of course, visiting. People always write me "I can't. too much work. Not enough money" etc etc.... buuuuuuut I still think it's always more than worth it to visit the place you might spend two years of your life and in which you will invest about 150K!!!!

For your schools, I would add Kelley, Johnson, UCLA rather than Haas which is probably just as hard to get into as Tuck. Just as importantly, since you (very wisely) planning sooo far ahead, aim to apply to 5-6 schools in R1, so that you can have a backup plan for R2, just in case things don't go as hoped (unfortunately it does happen sometimes, and it's better to be prepared than to be just hopeful). And since you know you are applying now for next year, there's no excuse for not getting in all your applications R1.

Good luck!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Would appreciate a profile review [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 11:12
Thank you once again for taking out time for this! I must say that when I was reading those reviews about your services, on this very forum, I was skeptical that you guys could actually provide the "round the clock" kind of support that the people who used your services spoke about. But I'm impressed! Such quick responses here as well, and that too at hours, which I am pretty sure, are odd by US standards :)

Yes, I think visiting campuses is on the agenda. it's just that being in India, with a fluctuating currency doesn't help your case. Though I do agree to the ROI logic(trip to US---> Cost of B-school---> a life long of satisfaction with a likely fat salary :-D ) that you have given to other aspirants on this forum as well. Let's see how that pans out for me.

I still have a couple of questions for you:-
1. Do you have any offices/associates working out of India? I saw on your website that you have an office in China, so just wondering if you have one here or are planning to do so.
2. Is there a way to get in touch directly with any of you?

Thanks once again!
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would appreciate a profile review [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 04:01
Expert's post
That's true! But it's because we also have an office in China! :) So don't think I stay up till four AM (even if we do love to help people.. I still need to sleep sometime).
Although we don't actually have an office in India we have worked with a TON of Indian candidates, and know the landscape very well. To contact us is a piece of cake, just email info@admissionado.com or alternatively, fill out a form online for a free evaluation: http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com